Ch.1 - First Letter

edited version of the first chapter - story is from 3rd pov but mainly centers around niall

____________________________________________________________________________________

"What do you want?"

There's shuffling heard, but no voice spoke.

"I haven't got time for this, Tomlinson. So whatever it is you need, say it."

"Um, you see, we-"

A low growl, and Niall grabbed the door frame to shut it in Louis's face.

Immediately, a hand stopped him and said in a rush. "Zaynisinacomaandwewerewonderingifyoucouldgovisithimathehospital."

Niall blinked at him, trying to understand what he said.

Louis looked back at him with worry written all over his face, hoping that Niall will at least do this for Zayn. That he'll at least go see the boy that he drove to a suicide attempt. Even if. . . said boy also hurt Niall.

"Let me get this straight," Niall pinched the bridge of his nose as he realized what Louis had just said to him. "You want me to visit him at the hospital, because he's in a coma?"

Was Louis shitting him? Was he? Because if he was, it wasn't funny. What makes him think that Niall will go visit the very same person who broke his heart and played him, at the fucking hospital.

"Wait." Niall eyed Louis, "Why is he at the hospital in a coma?"

He could only think of two reasons why he would be in a coma, but he hoped he was wrong.

He deserves it.

He brushed the thought away. He didn't need guilt weighing him down.

Louis gazed at him, confused at the whirlwind of emotions playing across Niall's face. He wanted to ask what he was thinking but decided otherwise. He had no right to. "Zayn, um, tried to commit suicide. But, ended up in a coma instead." He should stop right there, but instead bit his lip as he ventured further. "I, I think that maybe you being there might help Zayn's condition. You know, he might not have said anything but, he really loved you. Just, it, was hard for him to really open up and instead of going at it the right way with you, he took the way he was used to."

"What way? Fucking with people's minds? Raising their hopes then crushing them? Messing with people's feelings?" Niall snapped at Louis, memories playing in his head, memories he wanted gone.

The other boy cringed, but didn't back down. His friend's life was at stake here, he couldn't back down. No matter how bad Zayn had treated him, he owed him. He owed him his life and so much more. "Zayn is a complex person, Niall. He wasn't-"

Niall laughed cutting off Louis. He laughed, a dark tinge to it, and rolled his eyes. "He wasn't treated well as a child? He was raped? Abused?" He laughed again. "Fuck off Louis. I'm not going."

Leave. LEAVE.

He tried to shut the door again, but Louis stopped him once more. Niall was about to yell at him to leave, when he caught the look of anger and determination of the other boy's face.

"Just visit Zayn."

And with that, Louis dropped his hand from the door, and walked away from Niall's apartment.

Niall's right hand absentmindedly clenched into a fist, wishing he was holding the letter. He should have never read it. He should've thrown it away the second he saw that familiar handwriting.

Dear Niall,

I'm sorry for everything.

That's a shitty way to start a letter. But I'm not the best with words, ya know? Well, at least, not when I'm playing with others.

Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry for everything I did to you. If I could go back in time, I would change everything. Especially meeting you. Because, I think, the second I laid eyes on you, I felt the need to hurt you.

Yes, hurt you. See you cry. See you beg. See you bleed.

And that's, something I will always regret. Wanting to hurt you.

I had no reason to want to do that to you, yet I felt the need to.

I'm insane. I know. I'm fucking insane.

Look, that wasn't supposed to come out. I wasn't planning on letting you know that, but it's on paper and I promised myself I wouldn't backtrack. Just, just don't laugh if I say something stupid okay. Promise me that okay?

Even if I have no right to ask you that, I hope you'll at least have a bit of mercy on me with the rest of the letters I wrote you.

Yup, I wrote you a few other letters, all handwritten.

Just like you said you liked. Because they're more personal and romantic.

I had planned to mail them to you, but seeing as how I screwed everything up that day, that won't be possible.

God, I'm fucking sorry Niall.

I really am. I never meant to hurt you like I had, maybe in the beginning yes-. But I also didn't expect you to fight back. You little shit. I didn't plan for our roles to be reversed. You the 'bad boy' and me the victim.

I laughed like a maniac after our little spat. And even harder when I realized I made you that way.

I changed you.

And I didn't like it. I hated it.

I hated the new you. It wasn't Niall anymore. It was someone else. You weren't my Niall anymore.

Sorry about the um, stains. Don't mind them.

I have to go, get some sleep for school tomorrow and all.

Would you believe me if I said I love you?

Zayn

Seeing as how I have things in place already, I think, you deserve to read the letters. I hid them though. Good luck finding them!

Here's your clue: Still remember the thirteen reasons I love you?

"You're a little shit, Zayn."