|| Five ||

The first week into the summer, Mom and Dad proposed a trip out of town. It had been a while since we were on the road and they thought we could use the change of atmosphere for a week. Plus it coincided with Dad's off days.

I would have gladly gone if it weren't for the pottery class that Hannah and I had already enrolled ourselves into throughout summer. Chris, too, had his basketball training camp in the woods. So the proposed family trip turned into our parents' trip.

They were leaving that day, and I was combing my room for the list of things I wanted when a paper airplane landed on the floor beside me.

Raising my eyebrow, I picked up the plane, looked out my window and across the other house.

"Good morning, Yeonie," Lu Han greeted, giving me a little wave.

Ever since the rat incident, something changed with Lu Han. Sure he still managed to find ways to annoy me relentlessly with his words, but "prank-wise", Lu Han had been more subdued. In fact, when I thought about it, Lu Han had completely left my things alone.

"I don't think having a good morning is possible with you around," I said then, grimacing at him.

He grinned without missing a beat. "You're so sweet, Yeonie, as always."

"And didn't I tell you to stop calling me that?"

He pouted.

I had to avert my eyes to avoid his face. Because as much as I didn't want to admit, Lu Han was becoming more good-looking as we grew older. It isn't fair having someone as good-looking as Lu Han as a nemesis.

"Then what should I call you instead? Jiji? Yeonyeon? Yeonji?"

"Hey! Stop murdering my name!"

He laughed, wiping an imaginary tear. "I'll miss your cute expressions, Yeon." Then he moved out of the frame of his window, leaving me wondering what he meant.

Mom reminded us to remember our meals and closed all the doors before going to sleep and to never let any stranger in.

"Mom, we'll be fine," I told her gently, smiling at her. "This neighborhood is perfectly safe."

"I know, I know. Still, Chris, take care of your sister, okay? Check on her as much as you can."

"Mom," I whined. "I'm fifteen, almost sixteen. Perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

"Says the girl who goes running to mommy for breakfast," Chris teased, pinching my cheeks.

"As if you're any different!" I elbowed his side.

Mom laughed and kissed each of our foreheads. "See you in a week."

"Enjoy your trip."

Dad hugged me and Chris, and then we watched them leave.

"So rat girl," Chris said, leaning his elbow on my shoulder, "are you going to be okay on your own?"

I swat his arms away. "I would survive better without you." I returned to the house and called Hannah. "What's the plan for the day? Pottery class doesn't start until Wednesday, right?"

"Not sure," Hannah said over the phone, her voice gruff. "I'm actually kind of sick."

"Aw, that sucks!"

"Yeah."

"Let me come over then. We can do whatever in your house," I suggested, feeling sorry for my best friend.

"Sure."

So I spent the day there. Hannah had caught a cold and she was too lazy to do something outdoorsy so we stayed in their living room and watched all the decent movies we could catch on different channels.