Kitchen Session

FOOD! Yes, let's move on to another issue which is, cooking skills.

Some men are concern that modern women who are very much career oriented would fail in the kitchen or would not have the time to even step into the kitchen.

In Malay culture, we call this situation "dapur tak berasap!". True, even I personally am not a very good cook but I do know how to cook simple traditional Malay cuisines as well as some Thai dishes and pastas. I may not be an awesome cook but given enough ingredients, I can whip up simple dishes. It may not taste exactly like how my mom would make it nor how your mom would make it but it's edible. In Malay, we call this situation "tak kebulur lah kalau duduk dengan aku!".

Anyways, some men would delay the proposal because they wanted the girl to learn how to cook. Or in most cases, to learn how to cook his favourite dishes from his mother.

What most men fails to understand is that there are certain standard or pressure between mothers & daughter-in-laws. It is a natural tension. The level of tension may vary depending on the closeness of their relationship but it exist. You just have to understand that no one on Earth can ever cook exactly like how your mother does it. It may look the same but the dishes will taste slightly differently. Why? Because there is something special about mothers' cooking. It's called LOVE and that taste can never be duplicated. It is fair enough that you wish your wife could learn your mom's recipes but always leave room for her to develop her own cooking skills and recipes.