Chapter Six

"God, I'm starving," Xavier grabbed me and sprinted across the mall to Sbarro's pizza.

He ordered ten pieces and sat with me at one of the mall tables. I'd been depressed for the past week, after my fight with Beau, so Xavier convinced me to help him find a gift for his mom. I knew that there was a completely different reason for this, but I didn't want to talk about it. Or think about it.

"So... How are you and Beau?" He asked nonchalantly, taking a huge bite of pizza.

"Xavier, just get to the point."

He tossed his empty plate into the trash can, "Seriously Amabelle, you have no idea what's going on in that guy's head. Every time one of us goes to visit him, we leave with him threatening to chop our heads off. And he's dead serious every time. Pun intended."

I twirled my straw, "First off, that was a terrible pun. Second, I just can't do it. I have a heavy past Xavier. I don't want Beau to take part of the load, meaning me, and I don't want him to pity me. That's all I've been getting from people who know."

"So the whole possessive thing was just a cover up to protect your feelings?"

"I-I don't know," I slumped glumly in my seat.

"Amabelle, have you ever stopped to remember that you two were meant for each other? That's why you're mates. Beau's the only guy who can at least help with the load of your past. Just give him a chance."

"It's not that easy, Xavier," I sighed.

"The guy's a wreck, Amabelle. I know that within a few hours you will be too. That's why I told you to meet me here."

I took a sip of the carbonated drink and ran my thumb along the side of the cup, causing the condensation to race down the side, "I know," I said quietly.

"So you'll talk to him?" Xavier's mood brightened.

"No."

I slung my purse over my shoulder and tossed my drink into the trash, walking away from Xavier. I heard him growl in frustration, then follow me, easily catching up with his long strides.

"You're just going to be in pain," he warned.

"I know I will, Xavier. Please just leave me alone. I'll text you later, okay?"

"Yeah, whatever," he muttered, then walked back toward Sbarro's to order more pizza for himself.

I chewed my bottom lip and walked out the mall and home. A light fall of rain washed over me, but quickly became a pouring shower. I started jogging, holding my purse above my head in a pitiful attempt to stay dry. My dark brown hair was glued to my face, drenched in rain water.

Finally, my house came into view. Nobody was home; my grandparents and siblings had decided to go to Vegas for the weekend. They'd offered to take me, but I insisted that I stay home. I knew that it was because I couldn't stand being that far away from Beau, but I was currently trying to convince myself that it was because I had to study for a nonexistent test.

After fumbling with the lock and key for a few minutes, it finally clicked open. I stumbled into the house and locked the door behind me. I was drenched in rain water and panting slightly from running those few miles as a human.

I dumped my purse onto the couch and took the stairs to my bedroom two at a time, longing to change my clothes. I dried off and threw on a pair of lacy black lingerie and a white tank top. I towel-dried my hair and tossed the towel into the laundry room once I considered my hair dry.