7 // The Vampire Diaries is My Other Life

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hi peoples! How are you? This song pretty much describes Katie and how she's always been kinda on the outside. Let me know what you think! I love hearing your suggestions or ideas. Happy reads (:

____________________________________

I left the ending ambiguous, because that is the way life is. — Bernardo Bertolucci

____________________________________

KATIE

DECEMBER // WEEK 2

I walked out of Mr. Pin's class thirty-five minutes later in an absentminded daze from his lesson. I'd been more focused on my make out session in Blackie's. Unfortunately, Mr. Pin's wise words of wisdom bounced off me like the water dripping from our leaky sink at home, so the whole class was kind of a blur.

As I turned to walk to Spanish, I felt a light tap on my shoulder, like a bobby pin had fallen out of my braid and onto my t-shirt. My hand wandered to the back of my neck to check my slightly messy braid but instead, found a girl with piercing blue eyes staring at me. She had long, dark brown, pin straight hair and was much taller than I was, but that didn't come as a surprise. Most people, except maybe the munchkins featured in the Wizard of Oz were taller than me, and even that is up for debate.

"Umm, hi," I said, cautiously looking up at none other than one of the prettiest girls at King High—Avaline Castleton, otherwise known as Ava. I knew she went to Northshire, but she had quickly made a name for herself here, fitting right in with the popular crowd. Not surprising. She looked almost exactly like Nina Dobrev, an actor from one of Isabel and I's favorite TV shows, Vampire Diaries. I didn't normally watch television, seeing as my mother could barely remember to keep our fridge stocked, let alone pay for cable, but Isabel had gotten me hooked... somehow.

"Hi! It's Katie, right?" She asked with the voice of an angel... smooth as water. Holy hell, she knew my name. I would have replied to her question like a normal person but I was still in shock that Ava Castleton was speaking to me, so instead, I gave her a slow, confused nod.

"Yeah, sorry, you're Ava," I finally snapped out of my trance and said something. She had some of the bluest eyes I had ever seen, like her own personal ocean. They were an icy blue rimmed with a deep sapphire — absolutely stunning. I waited for her to grow fangs and suck me dry of every drop of blood, but that did not happen.

"Hey, it's a pleasure to meet you," she smiled and I noticed how prominent her dimples were. They looked so familiar but for the life of me, I couldn't place my finger on where I'd seen them before. She stuck her hand out and I shuffled my books to my other arm so we could awkwardly shake hands. "You're in my Spanish class with Señora Marsala next period, right?" she asked me. I giggled a bit because Alex Martini, another one of the hockey boys is in my class always called Señora Marsala, Señora Mar-salsa. I guessed Spanish wasn't his strong suit, but how he managed to make it to Spanish 4 was an enigma.

"Yeah, me nombre es Carolina," I confirmed, using the name Señora Marsala called me as we started walking in the direction of Ms. Salsa's classroom.

"I sit in front of you in class. Yo soy Sofía," She re-introduced herself to me, as if her Spanish name would make a light bulb go off in my head. Of course I knew exactly who she was; everyone did. But she was one of those girls and I just never had the courage to actually talk to her — I mean, literally everywhere she went, she was surrounded by guys, like she was a magnet and they were helplessly attracted to her. Talking to her seemed more intimidating than some of the men my mother brought home, and she was stone cold sober.