Dance With the Devil

April 19th, 2010
Unknown

Alex could hear voices. They pierced the thick, heavy darkness, pulling the young hunter back into consciousness. She groaned at the pounding in her skull, her head rolling back in an attempt to alleviate the pain. She cracked open her eyes, and the voices ceased as the spinning room slowly came into focus. She was sitting upright, bound hand and foot to a metal chair. The room was dim, lit only by a single, bare bulb that hung from the concrete ceiling. The damp air stung her nose, and Alex snorted, craning her neck to look behind her.

Ah. Right.

She had wings. She tried to move them, but they were bound tightly by rope behind her back. Her limbs felt drugged, hanging limply at her side. Probably because you were drugged. The chiding voice sounded in her head, and Alex let out a low, frustrated hiss. Demon scum.

She heard the door behind her open, and she redoubled her efforts to see behind her, curiosity and anger bubbling up within her stomach. Footsteps approached, slow and steady, and Alex lifted her wings threateningly at the sound of a throat being cleared. "Hello, love."

"Crowley?" Alex spat out the name, and she yanked at her bonds as she tried to catch a glimpse of the demon behind her.

"Imagine seeing you here." Crowley circled around to stand in front of her, his dark brown eyes looking her up and down.

"The hell do you want?"

"Isn't it obvious?" The demon walked over to a small table that lay against the wall, his hand hovering over its contents before he picked up a small, serrated knife. His face twisted thoughtfully as he studied it, and Alex's breath hitched at the sight. The demon grinned, running the blade lightly over the palm of his hand as he moved back over to her.

Alex lifted her chin, refusing to bend as defiance glittered in her eyes, but her jaw trembled slightly as the tip of the weapon slid along her temple. It pulled away as the demon circled out of sight, and Alex winced at the sound of the knife digging into something rough. No pain followed the actions; instead, her wings unfolded, free from their bonds, and the young angel shook them out only long enough to straighten the bent feathers before she drew them back in closely. "If you're going to kill me, kill me," she growled. "Haven't you heard not to play with your food?"

She heard the demon chuckle as he returned to stand in front of her. Metal scraped against the concrete floor as he pulled up a stool, allowing him to sink down to her level to meet her gaze. "Kill you?" Faux surprise lined his voice, and amusement glittered in his gaze. "I wouldn't want to do that. I would hate to damage the merchandise."

Realization as cold as ice rushed through her veins, and Alex flinched as if she had been hit in the gut. "Merchandise?" she managed to spit out. "T-The hell you talking about?"

The demon's finger tucked themselves under her chin, forcing Alex to meet his gaze. "I think you know what I mean. Now, normally I wouldn't stoop this low — I'm a man of integrity, after all." He ignored Alex's low scoff, and he pulled his hand away. "But desperate times."

"Who the hell would buy me?" Alex let her wings rise up, feathers puffing out in a clear threat. "Especially from someone like you?"

"I think you'd be surprised. A creature like you is the apple of many an angels' eye. Those who can afford it would trade several thousand souls. But, alas ... risky business." The demon rose back to his feet with a shake of his head. "You're right; most wouldn't get caught dealing with someone like me, meaning they wouldn't hesitate to double cross."

"Your point?"

Crowley leaned down, his hand going out to lift up her chin again, but Alex lashed out. Her lips pulled back in a snarl, her teeth closing around empty air that had been flesh only a moment before. The sound of the hollow bite echoed throughout the room, followed immediately by dull, heavy slap as the demon's backhand came down across her cheek. "My point is this," continued, seemingly unperturbed by the attack, and Alex spit a mouthful of blood down onto the ground. "There's a certain angel who recently crawled out of hell, and after the Carthage fiasco, I would love to be on his good side."