Breakdown

Alex woke up to the sun streaming in through her windows. Dean was gone. Alex looked over at the clock, and jumped out of bed. It was almost 9:00. On a school day. She quickly got dressed, throwing on a pair of jeans and what appeared to be a clean shirt, and ran down the stairs. She ended up in the kitchen to see Lisa sitting at the kitchen table. "Why didn't you wake me?" she asked.

Lisa smiled. "Good morning to you too. Dean thought it would be a good idea to let you sleep in after last night."

"Well, I'll thank him later," Alex grumbled. "Where is he?"

"He took Ben to school and then headed off to work." Lisa responded. "Why don't you get ready, then I can ask Mrs. Benson to drive you to school."

Alex nodded and quickly wolfed down a breakfast and grabbed her backpack. She saw Lisa reach for the telephone. "Actually," she cut in, "I think I'll walk to school. It isn't that far, and I could do with the exercise." Lisa nodded, and Alex smiled before running back upstairs and into Dean and Lisa's bedroom. She dug around in their drawers before letting out a large grin. She pulled out a familiar set of keys.

Alex ran back downstairs. "I'm off." She called, grabbing a jacket off the couch. It was either Dean's or her's; it didn't matter. Lisa waved her off, and Alex headed around back to the garage. She pulled the cover off of the Impala, beaming. She popped open the trunk and quickly filled it with blankets and a spare tire to cover the false bottom containing the weapons. Then she gently closed it and got into the driver's seat. She backed Dean's car out of the driveway and drove off down the street.

...

A few minutes later, she pulled the Impala into one of the front parking spots at the school. Putting the keys in her pocket, she locked the car, grabbed her backpack, and headed off towards the school building. She arrived just a few minutes before third period got out, so she wandered the halls. She was stopped once or twice, but pulled out a pre-prepared hall pass, and was let on her way. She rounded the corner just as students were being let out. Rough hands grabbed her backpack and flung her into a locker. Alex fought free and spun around to see Calvin. "Hey, girl," he sneered. "You remember me?"

"How can I forget a face like that?" Alex spat back. Calvin shoved her back against the locker. Alex looked past him to see a crowd gathering. "Leave me alone."

"Leave me alone." Calvin mimicked a pleading voice. "I don't think so."

"I'm not afraid to fight you again," Alex warned. "You remember what happened last time?"

For a brief second, fear flashed through the bully's eyes, but it quickly dispersed. "Beginner's luck." He tightened his grip. "I've learned your tricks."

"Shove off." Alex brushed his hand off her shoulder and stalked into the crowd, ignoring the glares she received.

...

The end of the day came quickly. Alex avoided Calvin, which wasn't that hard to do. She walked out the front door, fishing around in her pocket for the keys. A fairly large crowd had gathered, mostly consisting of girls. They whispered excitedly, casting glances at something Alex couldn't see. She pushed her way through the crowd and stopped cold. A drop-dead gorgeous man was leaning against the hood of a just-as-gorgeous car. Short dirty-blonde hair stuck up, and green eyes scanned the crowd, his perfect face emotionless. A teenage girl waved at him, and the man let out a small smile, his white teeth flashing. He was wearing faded jeans and a white shirt covered by a nice-looking plaid button down. Alex sighed.

When the man spotted Alex, he let out a small frown. He patted the hood next to him, and Alex reluctantly walked over and sat down next to him. She heard gasps from the crowd as they saw Alex with him. The man held out his hand. Alex rolled her eyes and handed him the keys.