the disastrous grocery trip

The mission was a fail. Aiko found his phone alright. But it had a fucking password. Why I didn't think of it earlier was a stupid mistake of mine. Of course, he would have a password.

"What are we going to do now," I groaned, falling back into Aiko's guest bed spread eagle. Aiko was sitting beside me, gaze focused on the television and remote in hand. She was looking through Netflix for something to watch.

"We could try guessing his password?" she suggested with a shrug. Reaching to her left, she plopped a chip into her mouth.

I shook my head. "What if it has one of those failed attempts automatic deleting thing? Then we'll get caught."

"We might get caught by just having the phone."

"We're gonna put it back."

"Before he checks for it?"

I paused. "We can always say that we found it somewhere."

She gave me a disbelieving glance. "If you say so."

I grunted. She was right. His phone had a stupid password. Neither of us knew it and there was such a small chance that we'd be able to find out what it was in ten guesses. Especially because, he decided to use an actual word as a password and not the regular four digit number.

Sitting up, I grunted. "Fine, I'll go put it back."

"It was on the bed!" Aiko called out to me as I exited the room.

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered, pulling the door closed behind me quietly. There was no one in the hall and it sounded like the TV was still on downstairs. But just to be sure that none of them were up here, I silently made my way to Arthur's room, holding my ear up against the door.

I waited a while and when it sounded like there was no one in there, I turned the knob and pushed the door open. Unsurprisingly, I was met with an utter pigsty. I was right to guess that he didn't do chores. There were a bunch of clothes scattering the floor, his bed was unmade, his luggage was thrown haphazardly in the corner, and everything seemed dusty. Pinching my nose, I shut the door lightly behind me before slowly approaching the bed.

I grimaced at the messiness, stepping around a pair of boxers on the floor to place the phone carefully on the bed. No wonder he moved out of my parent's bedroom. He was a fucking pig. I took another look around, a shudder of disgust going down my spine before heading back to the door. But at that same instant, there was the jiggling of a knob and I found myself running into the closet and hiding within the shadows.

I had to push back the growing panic and suffocated feeling as I looked at the walls of the closet. Thankfully, I left a bit of the closet open so it wouldn't seem too crowded and I had some light. I also hoped it didn't make it look suspicious seemed it was already opened when I walked in earlier.

The door opened and I heard two pairs of footsteps come in. One of the pair stepped somewhere in the direction away from me and the other must've stayed by the door, closing it.

"Where's Kaia?" I stiffened as I made out Arthur's voice between the two.

"I think she's with Aiko." North. My brows furrowed, my suspicions confirmed. They were hiding something from me.

I heard someone exhale deeply.

"Has she gone downstairs?" asked Arthur, and I detected a hint of concern in his voice.

I didn't know what North responded, but it made Arthur sigh and I heard a cry of frustration.

"That asshole," he growled and then I jumped at the sound of something being thrown at the wall. "Lee shouldn't have fucking stepped in here. How could you not notice that he'd been here?" The sharpness at the accusation of Arthur's voice had me cringing. My curiosity stirred, though, at the fact that he was directing it in North's direction.