the disastrous recovery

a.n. so... it took me three months into the new year to update... for that, i apologize. i was working on it but idk—i just—y'know what. i'm just not gonna make excuses. i'm not sure if this is long enough, but i hope it's good enough! and there's gonna be some... emotions at the end and some explanations. some things won't be explained (at least, not in this chapter).
enjoy! and thank you all for your patience! it means the world to me 💕

The first thing I noticed was the scent. It was a blend of flowers, alcohol, and a mix of food. It was not a pleasant grouping, but if I could just isolate the food smell I could just make out some yummy Filipino entrees.

And, of course, where the Filipino entrees were was where Aiko always is.

"WHY WON'T YOU GUYS SHUT THE FUCK UP? I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF TRYING TO TALK TO KAIA!"

See.

"She's not even awake," Arthur dumbly pointed out. The following sound was a smack that I could only guess came from Aiko. "What was that for?"

"Because you're a dumbass!"

"With how loud both of you are, I wouldn't be surprised if she was awake already," interrupted Kurt as another savory aroma filtered into the room. I could feel my nose twitch. I inhaled some more and— ohmygod.

"Is that curry?" I managed to say in a raspy voice, my eyes still shut.

North's chuckle was distinct even in my muddled state. Everyone else went silent, but I could tell they were probably stunned. I tried opening my eyes, but it hurt a bit too much so I settled with trying to sit up.

I felt someone rush to my side and lend me a hand. From the way he held me and the heavy breathing, I could tell right away it was Arthur. If I didn't have a mild headache, I'd probably shake my head at him. Did he have to breathe so hard?

He paused, his arm still around me and I could weirdly sense the frown he was aiming at me. "Wow, even on your almost deathbed you're mean."

Oh, did I say that out loud? Oh well.

"I'd apologize, except like you said, I'm on my 'almost deathbed' and I'd rather not do something I wouldn't mean." Damn, my voice felt rough. How long was I asleep?

Someone cackled behind him and from the pitch plus the cough that followed, I had a good guess it was Aiko. It also sounded like she was really close to me. After Arthur helped me sit up properly, someone to my left pushed a glass of water into my hands.

After gulping it down, I tried reopening my eyes. It took a few minute for me to adjust, but I powered through the headache that came with it and finally made out the interior of the hospital room I was in.

Except, the view that faced me was that of my mini kitchen and study area. I wasn't in a hospital.

I was in my room. It just had the set-up of a hospital.

"What the fuck?" I said, confused. "Why am I in my room and not in a hospital?"

No one seemed inclined to answer, everyone turning to each other and shrugging. I frowned at them all. I turned to my left where Aiko was seated on a stool, her hair up in a ponytail. She was wearing a pale red camisole and jean shorts with a massive cardigan over it, the sleeves pushed up to her elbows. She looked annoyed as she watched the guys who were all standing on my right.

When her gaze moved to me, I turned, a wave of guilt coming over me from keeping a secret from her. She was probably pissed as fuck that I hadn't told her anything.