Chapter 3

Luke woke up the next morning at 6:30 A.M. sharp. Jess was still asleep, the pillow clutched tightly to his chest. Sweat covered his face, his whole body shaking. "Jess? Jess.." Luke said, shaking his nephew to wake him.

Slowly, Jess opened his eyes and looked at Luke. "Do you mind? I'm trying to sleep." Jess muttered, pressing the pillow against his face. His head pounded, the sound of his beating hard throbbed inside of his brain.

"You're really pale and covered in sweat, are you okay?" Luke asked again, placing his hand on Jess' forehead. The cool touch of Luke's hand felt good, but Jess wouldn't give in so easily.

"Woah watch it!" He said, backing up away from his uncle.

"You feel warm, have you taken your temperature?" Luke asked, walking into the bathroom. It was now he noticed the soiled bandages in the garbage can, leftover from when Jess cleaned the cut earlier that morning.

"I'm fine Luke, don't worry." Jess sighed, reaching for a water bottle. He took a few sips before feeling nauseous and having to put it down.

Luke carried the garbage can out dropped it down by Jess. Startled, he sat up. "Why are there a lot of bandages in there?" Luke asked, doing his best to control the anger in his voice.

"It hurt so I cleaned it." Jess said, shrugging it off.

"It looks really bad, show me your leg." Luke said, motioning for Jess to move his legs out of the blankets. Jess just sighed and shook his head.

"Luke, I'm fine. Stop fussing." Jess said, sitting up. He limped over to the table and poured himself from cereal. He sat down and started eating, trying to ignore Luke's stares.

"I'm taking your temperature." Luke announced, handing the thermometer to Jess. Sighing, Jess stuck it in his mouth and waited for the beep.

"100. Just a little fever. I'm fine." Jess insisted, limping into the bathroom. He took the bandage off and looked at the infection.

The appendage was swollen and oozing once again. The cut was a deep dark purple color, almost black. Yellow/ white goo oozed from the open part. "Can I see it?" Luke asked, knocking on the door a little. Knowing he wouldn't take no for an answer, Jess unlocked the door and scooted away so the door could open.

"See." Jess said, unable to admit that he was wrong about the severity.

"Jess, that's bad. Very very bad." Luke said, lightly poking it with a tissue. More goo oozed out quickly before settling down to a trickle again.

"I'll be fine just hand me the bandage." Jess said, reaching for a roll of gauze on the bathroom counter. Sighing once again, Luke handed him the gauze. Jess wrapped his leg again and stood up, starting to get ready for school.

"You're staying home today." Luke announced, already holding the phone. The school's number was halfway dialed, almost ready to call.

"Oh come on Uncle Luke!" Jess said, doing his very best to control his temper against his uncle. Luke just shook his head and finished dialing the number. He left a message for the school and hung up again.

"Get changed and rest. I'm going to get some stuff for that infection. I'll bring you something from the diner later for lunch. I'll also make you a doctors appointment to get that checked out. Just rest for now." Luke ordered. Still upset about being forced to say home, Jess plopped his stuff down on a chair and fell onto bed. It wasn't like he planned to go to school anyway, but now he felt like he really couldn't even if he wanted to.

Luke went back down to the diner for work while Jess eventually fell asleep. At around noon, he brought up a sandwich for Jess. He didn't want Jess to have to go downstairs with his leg.

Instead of finding his nephew laying in bed, the bathroom door was closed and the sounds of someone throwing up were coming from the other side. Luke set the plate down on the table and lightly knocked on the door. "Jess?" He asked.

"Who else?" Jess' voice responded sounding hoarse.

"You okay?" Luke asked, trying to open the door, but finding it was locked.

"Just give me a minute, jeez." Jess said, running his mouth out with mouthwash and grabbing a towel. He walked out and laid back down in bed, taking a book with him.

"I'm taking your temperature again." Luke said, which only cause Jess to get annoyed.

"You know what, no. I'm fine." He insisted, getting up and grabbing his jacket. He made it just outside the door before nausea and dizziness took over. With a thud, Jess landed at the top of the stairs, hitting his head on the banister. He was knocked out cold...

~~~

Supernatural1221 for one of the ideas! Thanks!