Chapter 6

"Luke." A hoarse voice whispered. Jess, just woken from a coma, groggily opened his eyes. He couldn't see very well, his eyes now adjusting to the new light. A shape about the size of his uncle lay in a chair across the room, most likely asleep.

A monitor started beeping, causing Jess go jerk a little from waving startled. He felt a small jabbing pain in his hand, eventually realizing it was an IV. Luke jumped awake at the beeping, fear ripping through him. That beeping could mean two things. 1, Jess was going into cardiac arrest. 2, Jess was awake.

Nurses rushed in and smiled, the same nurses that had been taking care of him for a while.

"Wha- what's going on?" Luke stuttered, trying to shake all the grogginess from himself.

"He's awake Mr. Danes, but don't question him or anything yet; he's still a bit out of it." A nurse explained, putting one hand on Luke's shoulder and lightly pushing him into the chair again.

Jess looked around, confused at all the people around him. He'd heard a lot of their voices before, but never seen their faces and not all at once.

"Where am I?! Who are you?! Ow do you have to do that now!" Jess yelled, starting to get back to his old self slowly. 

"You are at the hospital, I am a nurse. My name is Alexis. This is to make sure your blood is normal now that you just woke up." One of the nurses, Alexis, explained.

Jess slowly nodded and sighed, clenching his fists. He just let the nurses do their thing, giving some of them death glares as they go. Eventually, they left and let Luke talk to Jess.

"You had to have known it was that bad. Why didn't you do anything?" Luke asked, doing his best to control his temper at his nephew.

"I didn't want you to baby me. I would've taken care of it if you would've left me alone." Jess answered, almost rolling his eyes. Luke sighed and ran his hands through his hair.

"You could've died Jess..." Luke muttered, avoiding eye contact. Jess looked at his feet solemnly.

"I'm sorry I guess.." Jess apologized, closing his eyes. "Can I just sleep. Please? Being in a coma makes you surprisingly tired. I spent almost three weeks sleeping and all I want tondo now is sleep"

"Go head, I'll be here." Luke said, patting Jess' shoulder just before Jess fell asleep.