4 - The Bait

Evan

Evan

Okay, as much as I hate what went over at the party, I must say I enjoyed pulling that prank on her. You should've seen her face. It was priceless. The only downside is, she gave me something sweet in return that night and I must say, she really had some hands of steel.

Yeah, It hurt like hell.

"That was so fucking cool, man!" Lance shook his head, wiping his face with a paper towel. We were at the boy's locker room since we just finished our football practice. "That was like the ultimate prank you've ever pulled on her. Nothing could top that."

"Now she hates me more than ever," I snorted. "Thanks a lot, asshole."

"Hey, I know how you can pull another one on her," Lance grinned. I cocked an eyebrow in return. When Lance suggests something, you bet it'll be interesting.

"What do you have in mind?"

"Make her fall in love with you," he said in a low voice, just enough for me to hear. "First, you ask her out on a date then ditch her the last minute."

It sounded awfully good but I've never really ditched anyone on a date before. I mean, I don't ditch girls for the pure fun of it... But with CJ, it's probably worth a try.

"After ditching her on a first date, just say sorry the next time you see her and continue on with the charade. Then break up with her before Senior year's over."

I made a face as I slammed my locker door shut. "Now how the hell is she going to fall in love with me after ditching her on our first date?" I threw a towel at Lance. "It makes no sense. I'm not doing it."

"Oh, CJ will forgive and forget, trust me. I think she has the hots for you." He wiggled his bushy blonde eyebrows at me.

"The hots?" I gave a small laugh. "No, she doesn't."

"I pity the fool who will fall in love with her one day." Lance declared.

Well, the plan sounded perfect. I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but after thinking it over, I nodded approvingly at Lance. "Alright, I'm in."

We both shook hands to seal the deal. At the back of my mind, I was a little worried. We were already past grade school shenanigans. Why am I still following this idiot?

*

"Little tomboy approaching at twelve o'clock." Lance whispered while pretending to browse the menu. We went to that small diner downtown where CJ works at every day after school.

CJ approached us, rolling her eyes. She pulled out a small notepad and a pencil from her apron pocket. As if on cue, a fake smile came on.

"So, what can I get you, gentlemen?" She says in an overly cheerful voice. It was far from how she really spoke back in school.

Lance started to order. He was being a dick at first, but CJ maintained her fake smile and posture while taking down his order. I bumped his shoe underneath to move on. Reece and Roman came next. Her smile faded as soon as she faced me.

She cleared her throat. "And what can I get you?"

It took me a few seconds to answer. I got a little tongue tied when she lost character.

"Uh, can I order a triple fudge banana split... with three cherries on top... whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles..." I stopped momentarily, thinking of an outrageous ingredient to add to my dessert.