Chapter Two

Present Day

Sandra's P.O.V

8:30 PM

I had always loved white flowers. Any type of white flower. Daisies, roses, tulips. They seemed to have a pure look to them.

Tonight was one of Robert's get-togethers with some of his close business inquiries. I always dreaded these days. He would start off by telling me what to say, wear, and even how to move. At this point in my marriage, it was not equal. He monitored everything I would do. I was his puppet.

I felt a cold touch on my right hand. I knew it was him but I didn't bother to look at him. Instead I looked the other direction away from him. First wrong move. Before I could turn and look at him I felt his rough hand grab my face, and then just my chin itself. I saw the expression on his face and he was furious. I had never shown affection to him in any way in all our 20 years of marriage. His fury suddenly turned sympathetic and that had always terrified me. Nothing good came out of it.

"Sandra, my love, you have to stop being so tense," he said. "You know how I feel about these dinners and they never turn out good on your recieving end honey."

9:00 PM

"Wow Robert, in the century we live in you still haven't let Sandra have a phone?" one of Robert's friends asked. Everyone made it into a joke and the whole table started giggling.

"I really don't see the need for her to have one," he said chuckling , "I always have my security update me on her and her well being. She has never really been into those sort of gadgets. Isn't that right honey?" He shot me a look and I responded almost immediately. Second wrong move. "Yes, it is true. I really do not see the use in them and it is not a necessity for me to have. It would consume my life too much" I said.

"Well Robert you better be lucky that you married her 20 years ago, because if I had meet her before you, I would have married her myself." Third wrong move.

The dinner kept going at the same slow pace as the rest of them. The conversations seemed repetitive and the night dragged on.

10:30 PM

"ROBERT STOP. PLEASE!" I shouted.
"COME HERE YOU BITCH."

I heard glass shatter in the back and felt him catching up to me. I started heading for the stairs when I felt his hand grab a hold of mine. I did not stop for an instant and pushed him back. I ran up the stairs as fast as I could. It seemed impossible to get to our bedroom but when I did, I slammed the door behind me. Knowing he would come any second, I ran to the closet. I heard the door bulge open and felt his footsteps. It was a sound that made a fast thump and it made me cringe. Knowing what would happen next, I braced myself.

"Honey, come out of there...." he said slowly. Almost like an owner trying to get it's new dog to come out and eat. I closed my eyes and felt him breathe next to my ear. Almost instantly he grabbed me with a force I could never come to explain and dragged me out. He pushed me to the floor and I felt it in my elbows and knees. He grabbed and pulled my hair leading me to the bed. Once there he pushed me again but this time will greater force in my chest. Half my body was on the bed, already bruised.

"You know Sandy," he said playing with my hair, "I love the way you look so terrified of me." With that he gently touched my face. Then I felt that force in his hands again and he started choking me. I felt the shortness of breath and he pinned me down. Once he released, he started tearing my dress.

"Robert please stop." I whispered almost childlike. I felt small.

"This is where it gets exciting honey." he said.