20

Trevor watches me closely, a permanent frown seemingly frozen on his lips as he processes the stories of my past. Samuel's hand had grabbed mine sometime during the last recollection of events, and now his thumb traces circles around my split knuckles as he stares at me with something indistinguishable in his eyes. I might observe it as care, but if I knew better, perhaps I could see it as love.

I sigh shakily as I wait, stopping myself from chewing on my cheek any longer- it already feels raw as I have irritated the scars there.

Agent Lawson is continuing to gaze at the files and papers on his desk, his pen scribbling down the last few notes and details of my witnesses. Leaning back in his chair as he sets the writing utensil down, he looks up at me and smiles kindly. "Thank you Amelia... I am sorry that you have went through so much," I wrinkle my nose uncomfortably, unused to anyone apologizing for the crimes of the men who owned me. "It's alright," I mumble for lack of a better response and then downcast my head.

"No, it isn't." I can almost feel my heart burn- for what, I am not sure. "And I am personally going to make sure it will not happen to anyone ever again." He swears to me, Sam's grip on my hand tightening for a millisecond.

He knows my own plans; he knows I will not wait for the FBI to get approval; he knows I will act the moment I trace them down. I do not know how long I have been planning this, but I have finally admitted it to myself- I will be the one to make the Association pay for their crimes.

The agent with kind eyes and a nice smile nods to the door and to me, gesturing to Trevor. "He will escort you out and make sure you make it into a taxi safely." I shake my head, standing with Samuel, his fingers still curled into mine. "We can't afford that."

It isn't exactly the truth- I forgot my satchel and Samuel didn't bring any money along- but I'd rather walk home for now.

"I'll pa-"

"No, it is alright." Sam interjects, pulling me closer to the door as Agent Trevor stands also, an eyebrow raised. "Once we are out we are heading to Amelia apartment and then somewhere we don't want you following." I almost grin, more than a little content that Samuel is bringing us to a street fight. Daniel smiles once again and nods to us, then to Trevor. "Do as they ask. Don't follow them."

"But-"

"The chief's orders... Do it, Jason." It's the first time that Lawson has used the other FBI's first name, and he almost flinches at it. I observe him with curiosity, but before I can make any deductions, I watch as he nods to the superior and opens the door for Samuel and I.

"This way," he breathes quietly and guides us through a back hallway and towards the staircase that we entered through earlier today. As I glance out the window, I see that it has become darker outside, nearing twilight- we stayed later than I thought we would.

"You alright?" Sam asks, and I realize that I have stopped on the second flight down, Trevor continuing to jog down the tiled steps to the first floor. I sigh and smile at him, placing my other free arm on his elbow. "I'm alright... Thank you for coming with." He smiles back at me, his eyes on my lips for a moment before he kisses my temple- slowly. "It was my pleasure, Amy... Now come on, let's get to that street fight."

*************

Sam follows me into the underground bar, the sound of blaring music reaching my ears the moment we open the door. I feel his hand touch the small of my back, my jacket and shirt brushing closer to my skin; I shiver. "I'm going to grab a drink, want anything?"