30

I hold tightly onto Samuel's hand as we walk through the blank hallways of the FBI building quickly, knowing that since our visit comes unannounced, I am sure that Agent Lawson will be more than a little surprised to see us and we might be forced to wait in order to have a conference with him. My legs ache from the long run that I went on by myself this morning before even the sun rose; Sam was more than a little worried and when I returned to his apartment, I found him pacing back and forth, mumbling about how I should have left a note or asked him to come with.

Sam glances towards me with a reassuring smile as we reach the FBI agent's main office, a few people sending questioning looks our way previously when we navigated through the building- despite this, no one has stopped us as they know we are witnesses. I want to be almost anywhere but here, the thought of willingly entering a room with Agent Trevor- a man we now know as someone working for and with the Association to take advantage of children- causes a shiver to run down my spine. If he retains any piece of evidence that I plan to help the children or that I am involved with the escape of 598, I am grossly aware that Jason Trevor will most likely react violently and lash out at both me and the children. As I knock upon Agent Lawson's door, I silently pray that Agent Trevor will be preoccupied and unable to sit in on this conversation and evaluation; I do not know if I will be able to talk if he is in the room. My hopes of this are kept fulfilled for now as an unfamiliar face answers the door- but he seems to know me.  "Amelia Reyes... What are you doing here tonight?"

I feel Sam edge closer and his hand trails the small of my back. I clear my throat gently, "I was going to speak to Daniel- Agent Lawson. I left the other day rather quickly and without scheduling another meeting.... So I decided it best to just show up..."

The man has light brown eyes that crinkle whenever he smiles, his hair cut to fall just above his ears, and he holds out a hand as he introduces himself. "The name is Peter Williamson. It is a true pleasure, miss." I nod and glance over his shoulder, gesturing inside the room. "Is Agent Lawson here at the moment?" Peter chuckles and holds up his index finger, "Yes, yes. Come in, but just give me half a minute to gather everything." I feel a warm smile wash over my face, his kind demeanor welcoming.

Mr. Williamson takes a few steps back as he pulls the door open further to grant us entrance, the FBI agent inside standing and buttoning his suit jacket as he sees me. "Amelia, how are you? I am sorry that our last meeting together ended so abruptly and that I didn't get time to offer my condolences... I know it upset you talking about the death of your friend, but I wish you hadn't left like that."

I lift my head to show a smile and meet his gaze, remaining silent as Peter gathers a few folders off the desk and stacks them into his arms. "I'll speak with you more tomorrow, Daniel... I know this case takes precedence." Lawson nods, shifts his standing position and walks to the door, helping the man out and whispering a polite goodbye as takes his leave. The agent turns around and gestures to nothing in particular, "That is my Captain... He gave you the deal of getting both of your felonies dismissed. Kind man, you'd like him." I nod once and watch as he moves around us again, beckoning for us to take our seats.

I take a chair, Samuel copying me, and the tall man leans against his oaken desk."Is everything alright? Did anything out of the ordinary happen?" I glance to Samuel, who nods for me to continue, and then turn my stare back to Daniel. "Everything is fine, sir, but we wanted to discuss something of importance with you."

Daniel waves his approval, walking around the table before he takes his chair once again and opens the manila folder. "And what is that, Miss Reyes?"

I take a moment, knowing  that after I take the children from the orphanage, he will be the one I  have to turn to; but I cannot tell him any of this yet; I cannot risk  someone leaking the information to the wrong person; I can tell him of 598; I can tell him of Mr. Ellis. I open my mouth to start speaking and explaining everything I can to him, but I am stopped short as the door opens.