36

There is a deathly silence hovering throughout the orphanage's walls, not even a stray, lonely guard strolling around the hallways to check for any children attempting an escape at this late hour during the Association's most vulnerable time. It sends a chill down my spine.

Every step that I take closer to my friends echoes around the tiled ground and climbs the drywall surrounding me, making me flinch each time I hear the building settle naturally or when the air conditioning changes its power status, but I still press myself on and towards the dormitories despite my wariness.

I know that sparing Lyle Evans' life will have its own consequences if I do not hurry and find the children- there are many negative things that could possibly happen as a result of him waking before I am able to get everyone out safely. I am worried he will reach the children first and take his revenge to them; the more likely and pressing concern is that he will alert the others within the Association of my presence here.

My heart constricts at my thoughts, and I force my legs to move faster.

The orphanage building is unsurprisingly almost the exact same as when I left it over three years ago- almost four years soon. The only noticeable differences are a few new coats of paint that have been applied to the walls to hide scuffles or skirmishes that marked up the sides of the passages or splatters of innocent blood. Another new feature is some of the lights bulbs have been replaced with brighter, larger ones. I shiver inwardly, realizing just how much I have changed in comparison to the old and tattered building, and I remember a time when I used to dread the thought of walking down this very hallway alone- now, I take my refuge in the solitude.

"Do you really think 564 will be coming tonight to try and break the children out?"

I slam my back against the wall at the sound of the voice, stopping myself only seconds from turning down the corner of my path that would leave me face to face with two guards. They are dressed in the standard attire provided by the Association and are armed with assault rifles. I let out a shallow puff of air in shock as the second man replies to his acquaintance, both of them continuing past my figure at a leisurely pace as they patrol the orphanage's interior layout.

"Well," he says rather quietly, "Mr. Ellis said a few days ago that she was planning to come tomorrow night when they had made a plan together to help the kids- that is when Carter said we would be waiting for her and ready to ambush her and whoever she came in with." His friend smirks slightly and they pause outside a doorway, turning only enough so they can face one another as they speak- they still do not see me. One of the men scratches his stubbly chin thoughtfully. "She seemed like a smart girl the few times I saw her back then- when she was still in the orphanage- but knowing that people close to you are being..." He stops himself for a moment in order to think of the correct word and I almost hear a twinge of guilt resound through his tone as he says, "abused, that will make even the wisest of men a fool to their surroundings and simple logic. There isn't much people won't do for their loved ones."

I almost scoff aloud, surprised that any person working for this organization could ever think of something so profoundly human, but I quickly stop myself as I realize that this man might be one of the people the Association took and manipulated and corrupted into their mold; I realize that he probably loved and was loved at one time; I realize he perhaps was kind and ordinary prior to his work here.

I pity the ignorant and the intimidated.

"Jeremy, my man, when'd you get to be so poetic?"

They laugh loudly together and I inch my way forward, peeking around the wall so that I can see the final hallways to my destination, housing the door to the dormitories where the children will probably be sleeping during their few hours of rest. I hear the guards begin to shift their position to backtrack their steps and I quickly pull my head back and dodge to the opposite side of the hallway so that I will be hidden once they are turned around. I wait with bated breath as they retreat towards me with their eyes trailing over the surroundings.