Prologue [1] - Jessica Moore

Prologue [1] – Jessica Moore

Everything was perfect, just the way Jessica Moore wanted it to be.

In fact, this was better than living the life she'd had. She was happier here. She was in her own little house, tidying up, as though she was expecting company. Her blonde hair was pulled up into a ponytail as she reached on her tiptoes, on top of being on a stepstool, to wipe the dust off of the ceiling fan. This was normal for Jessica, and she wanted to keep it that way.

After nearly falling and breaking a bone on the stepstool, Jessica got down, exhaling loudly. She looked at what was left that had to be cleaned and sighed. Cleaning was not as simple as most people thought. It took a lot of effort and commitment—that was what most people failed to understand.

Jessica folded up the stepstool, walking to the small closet in the hall, where she dropped it off. She pretended to look at an imaginary watch on her wrist. He would be home at any moment. If he didn't have a job, he would honestly help Jessica clean the house.

She smiled at the very thought of him. Those puppy hazel eyes that always captivated her. His unyielding loyalty. His intelligent mind that seemed to touch her own in a way that most people couldn't. And that shaggy hair that most women found unattractive on him, nobody needed to get her started on that. She loved everything about him.

If only he was here, with her, in Heaven.

At that thought, Jessica's smile dipped softly into a frown. Although her boyfriend of almost two years, Sam Winchester, was in her Heaven, he wasn't really in Heaven. No, he was part of Jessica's imagination, which made her Heaven what it was: a life with Sam Winchester. A life that didn't involve ceiling fires or creepy people sneaking into her apartment in the middle of the night and attacking her...

Jessica shivered. For the longest time, she tried so hard to not remember how she died. It had been cruel, incomprehensible, and grueling for the former Stanford college girl.

Knock, knock, knock.

Jessica's head turned to the door. Her brows came over her eyes. Sam never knocks, she thought. Sweating lightly, she went to the front door. When she opened it, she had to take a step back.

She had a stranger at her door, and she and Sam never had visitors.

"Jessica Moore?" the stranger asked. His voice threw Jessica off guard. It was deeper than she expected of a man like this. He bore many layers of clothing, the top layer being a beige trench coat. His blue eyes held desperation.

"Yes?" Jessica asked slowly. "Can I help you?"

"M-may I come in?"

"Um...sure." Jessica eyed the stranger oddly as she let her visitor in. He stepped in carefully, eyes looking throughout all of the house. Jessica shut the door. "I'm sorry, but, who are you?"

The stranger turned to her. "My name is Castiel."

Castiel? What a strange name. "Well, I guess an introduction isn't needed since you know my name." Which I don't appreciate. "If you're looking for Sam, he's not home yet."

"I'm not here for Sam, I'm here for you."

Jessica began to sweat again, but for a different reason this time. Her heart began to run fast in her chest. "Me?"