Twenty-Five - Scramble

"There has to be a loophole, or—or something," Jessica said. She felt the panic squeeze her lungs. This can't be happening. We just killed a big bad, and we're being penalized for it?! "What if we run?"

"When has running done anything for anyone?" Meg asked. "They'll catch whiff of you and not stop until they catch you."

"What if we stay here? They can't detect us, can they?" Charlie asked.

Sam, Dean, and Cas all looked uncomfortable.

"Uh, we, uh, never put new wardings on the place. Kind of hard to find the time to with our busy schedule," Sam said.

"Well, can't we work on them right now and save ourselves the trouble?" asked Jo. "Charlie makes a point; if the wardings are strong, they can't get in here."

"If they're dead-set on taking you and the others back, they'll find a way to destroy them," Cas said gravely.

"So, you're saying there's no point in trying. Great, so it's only a matter of time before they come knocking down the door," Charlie groaned. "Fan-freaking-tastic, guys."

"What if they're bluffing?" asked Jessica. "If there is such a rule, I wanna see the writing."

"And, what? Get a lawyer and go Law and Order on their asses?" Meg scoffed. "If anything, it'll only piss them off more."

"But there has..." Jessica looked to each face in the room. "Somebody work with me here! I can't be spitting out ideas all by myself!"

The prospect of returning to Heaven scared Jessica. She didn't want to go back. That place was boring now. It meant nothing to her. Earth did, this second chance did. She didn't want to go back to being boring. She didn't want to go back to waiting for her Heaven-Sam to return home, to hear about his non-supernatural day.

She didn't want the normal that Heaven offered her anymore. She wanted to make roots here and stay until old age carried her away properly, like she had intended.

"Is it worth trying to fight them, Cas?" Sam asked solemnly.

"Not without making it violent and bloody," said the angel in a trench coat. "It's not what any of us want, for them to leave. But, if it has to be, then it has to be."

Jessica looked at Cas wildly. "You're giving up, just like that? How can you?"

"Our hands are tied, Jessica. There is no outcome of this that's good if we decide to retaliate. Things could get messy and fatal. It's safe to say none of us here want that for anyone, whether it be us or the angels coming for you."

Jessica's head spun. This made no sense to her. She finally found a purpose in this new world, and now she was losing it. She was losing Sam, Dean, and Cas. She'd be losing Jo and Charlie, and hell even Meg. She'd never get to see them again. She'd never get to hunt with them again. They'd never get to kick ass as a team ever again.

The thoughts made her sick to her stomach.

"Jess?" Sam put a hand on her arm, to which she moved away from.

"I can't believe you're all accepting this. You're not even going to try and find a safe option."

"Letting them take you—"