Chapter Twenty-three

Blanche's screams echoed up the grand staircase. Mary and Ruth Ann slid down the railing. Daniel watched helplessly as the others followed suit, leaving him scrambling to take the steps two at a time.

Ladies' Sleepwear was bathed in the soft glow of several chandeliers. Racks of pajamas and fluffy robes blocked Daniel's view. He followed them through a maze of lace-trimmed nightgowns and satin slippers till he saw Blanche. She was wearing a black evening gown, and twirling in a three-way mirror, squealing with delight. "I can't believe it! Isn't it gorgeous?" she exclaimed.

"Yes," Oscar said, shooting Petey a look. "The dress is beautiful."

"Not just beautiful," she said. "This is a replica of the dress Audrey Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany's!" She adjusted the diamond clip that held her hair in an elegant bun.

Daniel had never seen Blanche happier or more beautiful.

"Wow," Ruth Ann said. "Where did you find this dress?"

"I woke up like this! It's a miracle!"

"I guess the new Spring line is certainly to your liking," Jonathan joked. "You'll look great for movie night. Hey, maybe we should watch Breakfast at Tiffany's?"

"This isn't from the Spring line," Blanche said. "This dress is one of a kind. I remember it." She became quiet, running her hand along the seam. "This dress was made by Maureen."

The others exchanged uneasy glances.

Daniel frowned. "But I thought Maureen was...um, gone?"

"She dressed Blanche as the showcase mannequin," Mary explained matter-of-factly. "She retired, I told you that."

Oscar let out a sigh. "Blanche, what does this mean?"

"It means my prayers have been answered! My Maureen has returned!"

"Are you sure?" Ruth Ann asked. "Maybe the dress was found in storage and someone decided to put it on you."

Blanche scowled at her. "Even if a truckload of vintage vogue was dropped off at the door, these Dumb Doras wouldn't know what to do with it."

She strutted over to Daniel, then turned her back to him. "Please look inside and read the tag, Mac."

Please?

Daniel flipped up a square black tag with his finger and read out loud, "By Maureen."

"See?" Blanche beamed. "I'm so happy I could dance." She grabbed Daniel and started to twirl. He spun around with her, clumsily navigating the racks of robes and nightgowns. Blanche squeezed his shoulders. "I think you've changed something about the store. This is the beginning of all our wishes coming true. Maybe Maureen can be with us now, too!"

He released her, feeling the blush warm his ears. Wishes coming true? What was he getting into?

Blanche linked arms with Petey on one side and Oscar on the other. "This calls for a round of martinis," she announced happily. The trio disappeared around the corner, with Blanche talking excitedly all the way to the elevator.

"I thought she hated me," Daniel said.

Mary joined Ruth Ann, putting more space between herself and Daniel. "Well, maybe Maureen is back," she suggested.

Ruth Ann chewed her lower lip. "After retiring five years ago? I'm not sure."

"This is a surprise, I take it?" Daniel said.

"That's the understatement of the year," Jonathan said. He took one of the satin nightgowns and held it up to Ruth Ann.

She swatted it away. "Maureen simply stopped coming to work. Blanche thought she was sick or on vacation, but then a few clerks mentioned her retirement. The thing is," she said, dropping her voice dramatically, "there was no retirement party."