Ch. 6 - "Welcome to My World"

Mason walked Hayden through the bar and sat at a table overlooking the water. This gave Hayden a view of the bar/restaurant. He handed her the menu and she was surprised at its blandness. Burgers, fries, a chicken basket, standard turkey club, and those were the highlights.

"Why isn't there anything tropical on the menu? No fruit plate, no tropical salads?" Hayden asked.

Mason's demeanor changed immediately, as did his facial expression. His light grin replaced by a straight line and his eyes got a bit of a crooked slant making Hayden uneasy. Obviously the two year old survived and Hayden, although happy to have seen a glimpse, didn't want to offend anyone on day one.

"We know what works Hayden. Quick, cheap food sells and gets the customer in and out quickly. Produce spoils and is expensive. There isn't a lot of money in restaurants."

Hayden continued watching the people filter in and out. Everyone seemed friendly and happy and the atmosphere was a welcome distraction to Mason's tone. She plastered on smile in her face and put her shoulders back.

"Good to know Mason. I sure do love fruit though. I'm going to have to keep my own stock I guess. I'm not really a deep fried fan."

She assumed she smoothed the core because Mason quickly came back with "Is that the secret to your great skin and perfect figure?  I may give it all up myself."

Hayden felt the warmth of a blush. She wasn't used to compliments and found herself again feeling quite the smitten teen. Mason began talking about the day to day operations of the business and Hayden tried to pay attention but a stray curl and a cozy couple in the corner kept distracting her.

She watched the servers joke with the customers and wished she were here on a regular vacation getaway. She could imagine playing a rousing game of beach volleyball and coming in out of the sun for a drink and some laughs. Mason cleared his throat and stared impatiently at her, waiting for her to answer a question she hadn't heard when fortunately, Tye walked over to the table to take the lunch order.

"Hey Hayden, can I get you something?" 

She noticed that he ignored Mason all together and would try to remember to find out why Tye would have a beef with his current employer.

"I'll take the chicken please, and a strawberry lemon aid. Thanks Tye."

"Mason?" Tye asked dryly without so much as glancing his way.

"A tuna on rye. No mustard."

Tye turned without another word and Hayden looked at Mason with a questioning glance. He responded by asking her about her trip. Small talk continued until the food arrived. Hayden's chicken sandwich looked good, her first and probably only meal of the day. It came on a sweet Hawaiian roll with a side of slaw that Hayden dove into. Mason's sandwich looked soggy and mustard oozed from the sides.

"They put mustard on, do you want to switch? Or send it back?" Hayden asked.

Mason smiled sweetly and took the half sandwich Hayden offered. She couldn't help notice something was off between him and the staff. He continued staring out at the water and Hayden felt like it had become an awkward silence. "So, Mason, how did you end up here?"  His face again changed to the relaxed young looking man she first glimpsed at the office.