Ch. 32- "Double Trouble"

Hayden stood with her mouth open and her eyes misting like a spring rain.  She wanted to lift her fingers and snatch the box, but she couldn't bring herself to move.  Her mind processed her morning trying to remember if she'd actually gotten out of bed or if this was all a dream.

Warren watched her face, his own shuffling through emotions trying to figure out what the hesitation meant. She could see a hint of uncertainty and fear behind his eyes, and a large dose of surprise. Still willing her arms to reach up and take his outstretched hand her mouth started moving.

"I just... you don't even.... there's only.." the words were jumbled and thick sounding because her mouth had dried up in cohorts with her brain refusing to send messages despite its screaming.

He lowered his arms and she felt his disappointment, it radiated like waves and reflected in his face.

"Too much?  Too soon?  You can say no Hayden, or you can say it's too soon. I came in guns blazing like a western cowboy. I should have waited, but I've never been so sure of anything before. You're the first and last thought of my day, and I don't want to spend any of my days away from you."

Hayden's heart pounded and her fingers twitched and jumped. Half of her instinct telling her to run from the room and the other half screaming grab the box and say yes you idiot.

"I love you too Warren, of course I do, I want to be with you and beside you but we haven't even had our first fight yet!"

Warren's laughter filled the small space, wrapping her in tingles and unhinging her frozen limbs. She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him feeling immediately like she just reached home.

"How about if I put the box away and we have one now?  I'll bring up something horrid and you dispute it, and despite the fact that I win arguments for a living you'll run circles around me.  Would that count?"

He kissed the top of her head and Hayden inhaled the scent of soap and spices. She looked up and he planted a kiss on her lips, slow and gentle.

"You've already got the job, no need to butter me up, and did you say you bought a house?"

His eyes twinkled with mischief. "I did. Would you like to see it?"

When it her bottom lip, hundreds of neurons racing and firing thoughts her way. Why did he buy a house if he was going to propose? Shouldn't that be something a couple does together? Did he think she would live at the resort and he would live at the house? Was she ready for marriage?

He wrapped a loose tendril around her finger.
"I can hear your thoughts Hayden. Loud and bossy. Just come see it, it will answer all your questions."

She nodded and they headed toward the door, hand in hand. He heart louder than her pumps on the tile flooring as they passed the desk and Mike gleaming with his wide Cheshire grin giving her a thumbs up.

"Did everyone know?" She whispered.

"That I applied for the job? Yes. I wanted to tell you before I even did it, but Angie insisted I come in person. I don't think she actually believed I'd give up my practice, and in a way she was right?"

Hayden stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and crossed her arms with a scowl causing Warren to take a few paces backward with his hand reaching out where her's had disconnected.

"I'm not playing games Hayden. And yes, I'm all in. But I have partners. They'll run the practice and I can be off site. I plan on keeping my license, and the income. I've spent half my life making that firm what it is, now I'm a silent partner, but still vested."

She felt a load release from her shoulders. He had really thought this out, and planned it! And if it didn't work out he could always step back where he left off and no one would be hurt. She cursed herself for planning for things not working out, but history had taught her to always have a backup plan.

When she got in the car he reached for her hand and entangled her fingers in his. She felt comfortable and warm and somehow insanely happier than she should have. Warren was a lighthouse, a pillar in the dark, and she absorbed his strength and calm demeanor.

She closed her eyes and imagined a fairy tale life of living on the island, running a successful resort and being Warren's wife. It was like watching the Beasts rose bloom from within that crystal showcase, almost too magical to envision. 

Warren shook her shoulder and she jumped, looking out the windshield she saw an amazing two story home right on the beach with a double wrap around balcony and huge windows facing the sea. It was the house in the painting in the resort lobby. Originally owned by the man who built the resort! 

"There's no way you bought this! It isn't possible. It's like royalty!" She squealed as he jingles the keys and she bolted from the car pinching her arm to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

Warren laughed as he followed behind her to the large white beachfront, straight to the waters edge.

"Now you know why I have to keep the practice. It's the prettiest home on the Island, and from the balcony upstairs you can see the resort, just like James Rykan wanted it. It took a lightning decision and I made it. Do you like it?"

She couldn't speak. It had to be a crazy hallucination or nacho filled dream. This was not her life!  This was what fairy tales were made of. She pushed him against the porch railing and wrapped her arms around him putting her lips to his. Warm tingles traveled through her center and shot out to the rest of her body making her weak in the knees.

As she opened her eyes one more time she gasped. There, right next door was a house she was familiar with, Austin was going to be her neighbor. Suddenly she understood karma on a basic level. There was always a catch. Austin would have to be talked to, and soon. But not as soon as Warren who was currently trying to read her panicked expression.

As if on cue, the sun dipped behind a large grey cloud and Hayden felt a chill. Why did every fairy tale have to have a bad guy, and why was she suddenly sure it was her?

###################
Poor Hayden!  An epiphany, a new employee, a proposal, a home, and the need to do some explaining to a couple of really nice guys. Will all of them find a happy ever after?

Elvis released Double Trouble in 1967 it was his twenty ninth album and he was in a movie with the same title about a lovely heiress and a jewel heist!!

Thanks krazydiamond for the amazing cover!!! It's so retro and cool!!!