night five

teagan

" So, you like Mickey mouse huh ? " I ask as soon as I hear footsteps on the other side, and he mumbles something inaudible in response.

" I knew I was going to regret that. As for your question, it's my little sister's and was the only thing available at the moment. "

" So you don't like Mickey mouse ? "

He groans and I smile to myself,

" No I don't. "

I fake gasp at his answer,

" How can anyone not like Mickey mouse ? "

" You do ? "

" Of course I do, by the way - "
I toss the blanket to the other side and it doesn't make any sound so I guess he caught it,

" thanks for the blanket. "

He doesn't say anything in response, so I just lay there with my back pressed to the wall and my eyes towards the sky wondering what it would be like to see everything from up there.

" Why don't you make friends at school ? "

He asks suddenly, and I am taken aback by the question - I never thought someone would notice.

" I have you, " I reply teasingly, but in all honestly I was trying to come up with an answer.

Why didn't I make friends ? Maybe because I knew that sooner or later I will be up and gone to some other city or country, and never see those
' friends ' again . Or was it because I loved my solitude a bit too much. Maybe because I had learnt at a young age that nothing lasts forever, I mean what friendship could be stronger than a parent's love, which I never received.

" I don't know Dante, I am not used to making friends, and I don't care anyways. "

He doesn't say anything for a few minutes until,

" You are afraid. "

It wasn't even a question, and I wonder how could he be so sure of himself.

" I am, " and I choose to be honest because really, what was the point in lying.

" I am afraid of making friends, or even acquaintances because everything comes to an end one day. I don't know if I can handle getting my heart broken over friendships I knew were going to last from the start. "

He sucks in a breath,

" You seem to speak from
experience. "

" I do, " and I don't care to elaborate because that was a conversation for some other time.

He doesn't ask, probably having sensed the finality in my tone and I am thankful for that, some people just don't know when to stop.

" I heard the photography teacher talking about you, he was all praises. "

I smile at his attempt to change the subject,

" What's up with you Dante ? Doing all the talking today ? "

He chuckles nervously, and that's when something clicks in my brain and I shake my head in disbelief,

" You feel bad for me ? "

" I- "

" Not a word. You don't need to talk to me out of pity. I said it earlier and I am saying it again, I don't care if I have friends or not. I have never had any so it's nothing new. "

I don't know why I was getting worked up, but I didn't want his sympathy.

" No - Oh My God - Can you shut up for a second ? I am talking to you because I like talking- "

And then he stops middle sentence once he realizes what he was about to say.

" You like talking to me, " I finish for him, a huge smile on my face -

" Don't worry good boy Dante, I like talking to you too. "

I leave after that because I had to pee.

And on my way down, while clinging to the fire escape a sudden realization dawns on me -

Dante Levi Hewetson

No wonder his voice sounded familiar, I think about climbing back but I really had to pee.