day ten / epilogue

dante

We all heard the sirens but I was the only one who dropped the mug of milk my mom had just made me. Stumbling over my steps, I made a run for the roof that had become my escape for the nights.

The moment I saw the camera resting on the wall separating the two buildings, the camera that I had never seen anywhere but around her neck - I knew what had happened.

My feet dragged me towards it as my brain went into a temporary shut down, and I picked it up - a pink slip of paper underneath it.

Don't you dare cry over me, good boy Dante.

I read it in her voice, and I could imagine her saying it teasingly, her brown eyes shining in mischief as I force myself towards the edge.

I wanted to shout. I wanted to cry. But I don't because she told me not to.

So I sit there on the edge staring at the red and blue lights becoming a blur just like my thoughts.

The first tear escaped the boundaries of my eyes as it finally settled that the girl from my opposite building, who was a bad ass but liked every cheesy thing in the world, who could pack a mean punch, who clicked pictures that could give competition to professionals, who - who I won't be seeing anymore.

I am sorry Teagan, I wanted to say.

My father came a while later and found me sitting there, shivering, hugging a camera to my chest and crying.

He didn't ask, just sat besides me while slowly the sirens became silent and darkness engulfed the parking lot again.

We left after some time, my parents and my little sister staring at me cautiously as I sat in my room, a blank look on my face.

After some time they leave me alone, and I open her camera, and I see myself smiling .

I was her last picture.

*****

*****

Thank you to the four people who have been the biggest supports for not only this story but also on wattpad.

Aribellz whatamifeeling TheTommoWay78 breadxstick_

I love you ❤