Six

Gabby woke with a stretch, her feet bumping against my ribs. She'd done that often during the night, and I'd welcomed each nudge. Any contact was good contact. Apparently not this morning, though.

She sat up abruptly and glared at me.

"No," she whispered. "No dogs allowed on my bed."

I sighed, laid my head down, and closed my eyes. I'd hoped for a nicer morning.

"Seriously, Clay. Don't you think this is just a little inappropriate?"

Not in the least.

"Fine." She braced her hands on the headboard and tried to use her feet to push me off the bed. I opened one eye to watch her strain. I wanted to laugh at her efforts but didn't think she'd appreciate my humor.

She stopped and glared back at me. "If you shed all over my comforter, I'm locking my door at night." She got out of bed. "With an eyehook."

I lifted my head in surprise as she stomped from the room. Her threat didn't worry me. I could get past an eyehook. No, my surprise was that she'd just openly accepted me sleeping in the same bed. Granted, she'd been angry about it. Still, it was a sign she was already coming around. I wanted to grin and shout. Instead, I listened to Rachel ask if Gabby wanted coffee.

I perked up, ready to catch Gabby's answer.

"No. I'm more of a milk or orange juice person."

I listened to Gabby join Rachel in the kitchen. Should I join them? Had I given her enough time to cool down?

"Going to work?" Gabby asked.

"Yep. Sorry to leave you on your own so soon. I'll be back around five. If you need anything, just call my cell. If I don't answer, leave a message, and I'll get back to you," Rachel said. "Oh, when I went to bed, Clay whined at your door, so I let him in. Hope that was okay..."

There was a notable pause. See, I thought to Gabby. Rachel let me in. I hoped Gabby would let go of just a little of her anger.

"Yeah, that's fine," Gabby said.

I could hear the lie in her words.

"Have you thought of taking him to a vet?" Gabby asked.

I groaned and let my head drop to the bed, missing Rachel's answer. Going to the vet didn't bother me; Gabby's stab at revenge did. I felt our connection and knew she did too. How could she so completely ignore it?

"Talk to you tonight," Rachel said.

The back door closed, and I listened to Gabby walk toward me. I didn't move, just watched the doorway for her.

"First," she said as soon as she appeared, "I'd like to clarify that this does not qualify as getting to know each other. Second, you smell like wet dog. If you want to continue to sleep in my room, on my bed, you'll let Rachel give you a bath when she gets home."

I snorted. As if I'd let another woman touch me...more than she already had.

"Third, once I'm awake, you get out. I know what you are, and I am not changing in front of you."

I couldn't hold back my grin on that one. I hadn't even given changing a thought.

Not willing to give her a reason to bar me from her room, I hopped off the bed and gave her the privacy she wanted. Sitting just outside her door, I listened to her move around. Because of a rustling of material, I knew she made the bed. The sound of drawers opening and a zipper told me she was dressing. What would she want to do today now that we were alone? She obviously had getting to know each other on her mind.