Twenty

I didn't get my wish. Gabby woke just a few hours after I put her to bed.

Since Rachel was home, I was back in my fur, lying in my usual spot, when I felt Gabby move. She reached for her phone and checked the screen. I knew what she'd see. Sam had called it twice since we'd left.

"Crap," she mumbled when she squinted at the display.

I thought she was referring to Sam until she left the bed saying, "I'm going to be late."

Did she seriously think she was going to school? I hopped off the bed and planted myself in front of the door.

She didn't notice as she grabbed clothes. When she turned and saw me, she paused.

"Clay, I have to pee so bad it hurts. Can you move, please?"

I narrowed my eyes at her. Did she really think she had me with that? Although I couldn't hear a lie, I knew her well enough to guess what she was doing. I stepped away from the door, letting her believe she'd fooled me, and watched her grin and leave.

As soon as she'd closed herself in the bathroom, I hid her keys in the towel drawer. She needed more rest to recover, not a day on campus.

When the bathroom door opened, she didn't walk into the kitchen as I'd expected. Instead, she went to her bedroom and brushed out her hair. It took her awhile, and I regretted not brushing it for her after her shower. I watched from the doorway. Each stroke moved slower than the last. She was so tired. Why was she so determined to leave?

She set the brush aside and left her room. In the kitchen, I heard her pause. I took my time joining her. She turned to glare at me as soon as she saw me.

"Clay," she whispered. "Give 'em to me." She couldn't yell because Rachel was still asleep.

I sat down in the archway.

Gabby sighed and looked around once more. I wanted to shake her. Gently. Instead of looking for her keys, she should eat something. Then, go back to bed.

"Please, Clay. I think I'm figuring out what's going on with me but won't know for sure until I talk to Nicole. At school. I need the keys."

I remained mute and unmoved. She could ask Nicole tomorrow. Meanwhile, I could hear Rachel stirring as Gabby continued to stare at me. I knew it wouldn't be long before Rachel would be coming into the kitchen.

"If I can't find my keys," Gabby said, "I'm going to walk."

Rachel passed behind me just as Gabby finished speaking.

Gabby's expression was hilarious, and I almost laughed.

"Gabby, you need to get out more and stop talking to the dog," Rachel said, closing herself in the bathroom.

Gabby glared at me; and I sighed, knowing I'd lost. I didn't want her walking. Standing, I went over to the drawer, shifted my hand, and grabbed out the keys.

"Thank you," she said.

Then she left.

I considered following her but Rachel was still in the bathroom and would notice if I was missing. So, I heaved a sigh and lay on the floor by the door.

It didn't take Rachel long to finish her morning routine, which still included touching me way too much, before she then headed out the door. Once she left, I shifted and dressed for work. Gabby would be at school already, and Dale was probably wondering if I'd show up today.