Eighteen

Several hours later, Sam found me in the room I'd taken for myself.

"She's asking for you."

I was up and out the door before he had time to say more. Based on the last time this happened, she shouldn't be awake yet. Was she really better?

Letting myself into the apartment without knocking, I quietly approached her room. I could hear her moving around. I stopped at the door and leaned against the jamb to study her. She was leaning against the bed and digging through her bag. She moved slowly; and, from the faces she made, her head still ached.

She caught sight of me, reached into her bag, and pulled out her pink bikini.

"Really, Clay? You're killing me. Where are my jeans?"

Her playfulness, despite her pain, made me smile slightly. She studied my face for a while. She tended to do that whenever I pulled my hair back so she could see me. I loved the attention.

She blinked slowly, and I knew she was still too tired to be up. Sparing her from further searching, I stepped close and, without looking away from her, pulled the jeans she wanted from her bag.

I held them out and tapped my lips, needing confirmation that she really did want to be with me like she'd said in the car.

She smiled widely. "A kiss for the jeans?"

I nodded; but, instead of kissing me, she pulled the jeans from my hand and tossed them on the bed.

Then she further surprised me by stepping closer and placing her hands on my chest. Her fingers branded me through my shirt.

"I don't need bribes to kiss you, Clay. Come here."

My heart burst, and I claimed her lips. She opened for me, sweetly and willingly, as she curled her fingers in my shirt. If she thought I'd tried to move away from her, she was mistaken. I wrapped my arms around her and held her close. Her lips parted and nibbled at my top lip. She was killing me again. I reached up to cup the back of her head, wanting more. And she gave more. Standing on her toes, she slid her arms around my neck and opened to me further. The feel of her tongue running over my bottom lip almost undid me.

I growled and struggled not to crush her to me. When she used her tongue again, I opened my mouth and captured hers, kissing her like I'd wanted to when she'd first walked out the Introduction room's door.

Her pulse jumped wildly, and I knew I needed to ease off. It was too much for her right now. But, her lips begged me to stay. With effort, I pulled away. She whimpered, and pride filled me. She wanted me. She'd told the truth. I just needed to be patient a little longer and let her get over her fears. That knowledge eased some of my frustration.

I kissed her cheek, then her forehead, trying to calm her.

With a shaky exhale, she wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her head on my chest. I held her close, waiting for whatever she might do or say next.

Unfortunately, Sam walked into the apartment before she did anything. She sighed and pulled back. Reluctantly, I let her go.

She looked up at me.

"Can you come with me for this, or will that cause more problems?"

"It would be best if he stayed away, Gabby," Sam answered from behind me.

She leaned to the side to look around me.

"I didn't ask what was best. Best went out the window years ago, Sam, when 'making do' moved in. Is he allowed?"