Chapter Five

Word count: 1618

~Mara

I feel Kaden let go of my arm. Despite the fact that he is my sworn enemy at this point, his absence as I'm about to walk into the podium unnerves me. I'm too nervous to care about who is here to accompany, even if it is my least favourite person right now.

He brushed past me, walking through the door and onto the stage that presented him to everyone. His whole Pack is out there, cheering and chanting at his existence. After a few moments, he manages to calm them down somewhat.

"Good evening everyone," he murmurs. A microphone is unnecessary; his presence on stage bringing everyone to attention. Kace is on the opposite side of the stage to me, waiting for his cue to meet me in the middle.

I can't help but wonder...What would happen if I ran away right now? I wouldn't make it out of the Pack before one of Kaden's Pack members ravaged me. I doubt I would even make it back to Kaden alive.

"I have a very special announcement to make," Kaden stated. Everyone answered with shouts and howls, excited that something interesting is about to happen.

I notice even now, Kaden covers his face. He must show himself to his Pack, right? No one seems to expect him to take off his hood, so maybe they are used to it.

"A guest will be joining us on stage," he says smoothly. He turns, gesturing at me to accompany him by his side.

Nervously, I uncover myself, walking on stage so everyone can see me. The silence that falls over everyone is immediate. It is obvious no one thought a Purity Pack member would be here today. The awe on some of their faces is intriguing.

I came to stand beside Kaden-not too close though.

"This is Mar-"

The crowd surging forward, cutting Kaden off. They clawed at the edge of the cage, all pushing off each other to get a desirable view.

Kaden grabs my arm, pulling me behind him. I'm pressed against his back, my cheek pressed against the muscle and sinew. I can feel the warmth seeping through his shirt. This is the closest I've ever been to a man other than my father, although fabric seperate a us.

"Back off, no one touches her," he yells at the crowd. They cower back, his voice so loud and powerful they immediately answer his vicious command.

He draws me out from behind him, once they are all a safe distance from me. I anxiously stand back where I am supposed to, looking at the ground so I don't have to see the feral look they are giving me.

Kaden then proceeds to ask for Kace to walk on. He does, swiftly approaching us at the middle of the stage. He comes to a stand on the other side of Kaden.

"We are gathered here to celebrate our position over the Purity Pack!"

My heart sinks. The crowd goes mental, responding to Kaden's words in a primal way. The way they are acting shows me how they feel about my home Pack.

They hate us.

"And by doing this, I announce the Union of this young lady from the Purity Pack, to my brother, Kace," Kaden told them. I could feel tears forming at the back of my eyes, but I fight to keep them from falling down my face.