Chapter Seventeen

Top Commenter: frasermagoo

Word Count: 2231

~Mara

That night, I couldn't sleep.

Tossing and turning, Kaden haunted my mind. And then, he haunted my dreams. I imagined him chasing me, those gloves laced with poison that could kill me.

I even woke up screaming.

When dawn rolled around, I was exhausted. Already, Kaden is winning the game.

Laying in bed, Leia almost gave me a fright when she opened my bedroom door. Grateful she wasn't naked like most of the other Pack members seem to be, I give her my full attention.

"Good morning! I'm going to the markets this morning. Care to join?" She asked. The thing about Leia, that I have gathered so far, is that she is far too optimistic. I'm not sure if it's a side effect of having a mate, or not.

"Sure, that sounds great," I mumble, sleep still having a hold on me. She smiles broadly.

"Great, I lay out some clean clothes for you in the bathroom. I hope you fit them!"

Once she leaves, I lay back down and close my eyes. Perhaps this will take my mind of Kaden, but I was hoping to stay inside to lower the risk of seeing Alpha Grayson again.

Turns out, I didn't regret following Leia to this market place she spook about. Stalls clustered around a small area, people milling around selling, buying and bartering. The place is lit with colour, and foreign smells. Many people I walk past give me strange glances, noticing that I'm a Purity Pack member.

"I'm just going to go grab some things from the far side. Meet me back here, and don't talk to many people if you can," Leia whispered in my ear. Nervously, I watched her skip off with her whicker basket in the opposite direction.

Suddenly, I fee vulnerable. Most of the men that pass me are fully naked, while the woman wear thin fabrics over their bodies in all different colours.

I can't help feeling overdressed in my yellow sundress.

Wading though the heat, I look around. Lacking money to buy things, I feel lost and useless in this market.

Until my eyes meet a pair of silver ones.

Alpha Grayson. What is he doing here?

He loiters at the far end of the market, leaning against an abandoned building. He is fully dressed, in a dark cloak with a hood pulled over his head to shadow his face. How long he's been watching me, I don't know.

Stumbling backward, I try sought out a plan within my head. The crowd is thick, so maybe I can get lost within it, and find a place to hide until he's gone.

He seems to notice my plan, and begins to stalk over, a look of determination on his face.

Falling back into the crowd, I keep low so my head can't be seen. Spotting a tent across the path from me, I try make my way toward it. It's bright purple and has mysterious looking ornaments hanging from it, but it's shelter...

Slipping into the cool arms of the tent, I close the fabric behind me. Hopefully he didn't see me come in here.

"Mara," a voice whispered from the shadows. Turning, I watch an elderly woman hobble across the small expanse of the tent. She's draped in a golden robe, and has an unspeakable atrocity curled around he head. Is it a dead animal? I don't want know.