Chapter Twenty

Top Commenters: BaneOfOurExistence
And stilinskiisbae

Word Count: 1352

~Mara

Breathe.

With every step I take, my nerves set in deeper. I'm such an idiot for doing this, but it's the only option.

I need to find Kaden.

This morning, Alpha Grayson told me that Kaden visited him. He threatened him, with his mate, and now, I feel like I am responsible for what has been done. Now, I must do what a Purity Pack member would do.

Leaves crunch under my feet, as I wade deeper into the forest. The gift of a dagger is tucked against my palm. I am as ready as ever, to finally face this monster of a man. For the last time...

My plan is simple. Make him bleed. Make him beg for his own survival; until he strains for mercy. Then I will leave him, for Grayson to find. To lock up.

Even with this plan etched into my mind, I'm still having doubts. The element of surprise is what I'm striving for, but what happens if he gets the better of me? I have spoken of my plan to no one...No one who can ruin this moment where I can finally have a valiant heart.

For once, I want to be one step ahead in this game.

I come to a stop, in a place that I think is ample. I'm am positive Kaden will hear me, and come for me the moment I show myself.

"Kaden!" I scream.

My voice echoes of tree trunks, radiating across through the woods like a siren. I make myself sound desperate and indisposed. Perhaps Kaden will get here faster if he thinks that I am nothing but vulnerable.

"You win, okay! I surrender..." I call out again. That's bound to get his attention, wherever he is.

Nothing. For five minutes, I await for my calls to be answered, but nothing happens. Resting against the base of the tree, I pray to the Moon Goddess that my plan will work.

Hope was almost lost, when suddenly, a hand comes out from behind the tree I lean against, and pulls me around the other side. Gasping, I'm pressed against a hard, warm chest. When I gaze up, I'm met with the cruel, dark eyes, of Alpha Kaden.

He's smirking, of course.

"You called?"

My plan was to immediately stab him straight in the heart, and run. But the moment I feel his body pressed against mine, I'm left breathless, and my mind has been flushed out.

"I-I," I can't help but stutter incoherently.

Slowly, he backs me up, until I feel the base of the tree against my back. He holds one of my wrists against the tree, while my other one is tucked behind my back. My plan would be ruined if he found out that I was holding a knife in my hand.

"I've missed you, Mara," he murmurs. For a moment, I almost consider that he's serious. But the gleam of amusement set like stone within his eyes will trick me no longer. My fingers press the blade of the dagger even closer to my skin.

"The feeling isn't mutual," I snap.

He chuckles deeply. "I see you're still a smart talker. Grayson teach you nothing?"

The word of Grayson makes me frown. He told me of his mate, trapped within the Vengeance Pack. I will do anything to stop myself from going back there.