Chapter Sixteen

"We're back!" I call into the house when Quinn and I walk in after our shift at Finn's the next morning. Cassandra and Margalit are sitting on the couch with my mom, watching a movie on TV.

"Hey guys," Mom says. "How was work?"

We walk over to them, sitting on the big armchair. "It was fine," Quinn answers. "This one kid ordered three scoops on a cone and I dropped it on my shirt." She gestures to the stain on the lower part of her shirt.

"Yeah, luckily most of the ice cream that got on her was vanilla," I say, and we all chuckle.

"Which bus are you guys taking?" Mom asks Margalit and Cassandra.

"I think the 6:15 one," Margalit replies.

Mom nods. "Ok, so we'll leave here around 6," she says.

"Wanna go for a swim?" I say, and they nod. We stand up to go upstairs and change into our bathing suits.

"Should we walk to the beach or just stay at the pool?" Quinn asks after she's changed, appearing in my doorway.

"Beach," I answer quickly, tying my black string top behind my back. "It's nicer there." And the chances of running into Milo are smaller. I still haven't told Quinn about it-- I probably will tonight after the other two leave; I don't really want to make it a big deal.

And there's also the fact that I'm still in shock that it even happened. And I'm scared to even see him again; will it be awkward?

We pack a bag quickly, and start walking to the beach after saying bye to my mom. I hold my breath as we walk outside, and steal a quick glance at the house next door, but I don't see anyone.

Once we're at the beach, we lay our towels down and put sunscreen on, before laying down for a bit to tan.

"When do you guys leave for Costa Rica?" I ask, turning onto my stomach.

"Next Tuesday," Margalit replies. The two of them are doing a three-week community service trip to Costa Rica, where they'll be tutoring elementary age students. "I can't wait."

Cassandra nods. "But it's gonna be scorching hot there," she replies. "We're gonna come back with the weirdest shorts tan."

"And sock tan," Quinn adds, and they both make a face.

We tan for a little while longer before getting hot from the sun beating down on us, and swim for a bit, chatting about other summer plans and playing around in the waves. After a while we decide to get out, and start playing tennis with the paddles we brought. I'm playing Quinn, with the other two playing a few feet away, and I'm walking to pick up the tennis ball that Quinn hit 10 feet away, when out of the corner of my eye I see him.

I freeze for a second as I'm bending down to pick the ball up. Milo is walking down the boardwalk, getting closer to the sand, with his family. He hasn't seen me yet, and with my heartbeat increasing I grab the ball and briskly walk back to Quinn.

"There's Milo," I tell her, and her eyes search the scene ahead for a second before she notices him, then looks at me again, noticing my red cheeks.

"Why are you being weird?" she asks, as I'm forcing myself not to turn my head.

I shrug as nonchalantly as possible. "I'm not," I reply.

She gives me another look, and then her gaze flits to a point behind me. "Hi!" She says brightly.

I turn, seeing the Ferrises having stopped a couple feet away. "Oh, hi girls," Mrs. Ferris says, taking off her huge sunglasses. "Fancy seeing you here!"