Chapter Twenty-three

I wake up the next morning with an extremely dry mouth. I sit up a little, feeling dazed as I find myself in my bed with a blurry recollection of how I got here.

I lay back, draping an arm across my eyes, and think back to the events of last night, which already feel like a month ago. Man, I was way too drunk.

I think back to hanging out on the lawn, eating dinner, watching the movie, drinking...

I sit up like a bolt, my head pounding, as I remember leaving the basement with Sawyer at one point. Oh shit, I think, as everything comes back to me.

"It's nice out," I comment, twirling a strand of hair around my finger as we start walking down the empty block.

Sawyer nods. "Yeah, it is," he says. "It was getting really cramped in there."

I grin, and start to skip ahead, my arms swinging from side to side as I toss my head back a little, the wind from the movement blowing my hair around.

"Wait up," Sawyer calls, chuckling, and I stop, catching my breath as he walks over to where I'm standing. I look around, seeing that we've reached the end of the block.

Suddenly, I'm tired, and I sit down in the middle of the sidewalk. "Come down here," I tell Sawyer, tugging on his pants leg. He sits next to me, and we sit in front of each other with our legs crossed.

"You're so pretty, Em," he says after a moment, and I smile.

"Thanks!"

My depth perception is hindered from the alcohol, but I'm pretty sure that he's leaning in, getting closer and closer to my face.

Yes, he definitely is; now I can feel his breath on my lips, and I pull back a little, shocked.

He frowns. "Uh, I thought-"

"No, you just shocked me," I say, and he nods, pausing for a few moments before leaning in again, and before I know it, we're kissing.

I'm still for a second, my mind struggling to process what's going on, and then I start to kiss him back. His lips are slightly chapped, but it's still a nice sensation when they move against mine.

I can feel the breathing from his nose get faster, and his hands reach forward to grab my waist. I tentatively put a hand on his shoulder, and when he slips his tongue in my mouth one of his hands drops down to run up the length of my leg, going from my knee to my inner thigh.

After a few more minutes a thought hits me, a clear voice ringing out in my mind: I'm making out with Sawyer.

Sawyer Drake. The guy I've been crushing on for four years.

He's kissing me harder now, his tongue moving around my mouth faster, and his hand slips up my shirt.

I wonder what I'll eat for dinner tomorrow night, I think to myself suddenly, as his hand reaches up to cup my boob. Pizza? I run my hand through his hair, and he reaches down, grabbing my waist and pulling me forward so I'm straddling him.

No, I feel like I had pizza recently. Maybe I'll have sushi. Sawyer pulls back, placing his lips on my neck, and he starts to kiss the spot right under my jawline. Yeah, I'm feeling sushi.

Sawyer leans back up, kissing my lips again, and I realize that I'm feeling... alright. Even as his hands reach down to cup my butt, and his tongue explores my mouth, I'm not that turned on.