52. Epilogue: Sunrise

The Blue Mountains fill the skyline, the rising sun making its majestic peaks a rosy gold. There is a slight chill, the first sign of autumn's arrival. I wrap my cloak closer about my shoulders, and search the wooded area for a place to watch the dawn.

I find a large, jutting rock in front of a clearing with a perfect view of the field and the mountains beyond. The air smells salty. The Sea is close now.

It is my last day in Middle-earth. By afternoon we will reach the harbor of Lindon, and board the final ship waiting for us. Three-hundred years have passed since Thranduil's return from death. It is finally time to leave.

I woke before dawn with my mind full of whirling thoughts and could not find sleep again. Leaving my husband still dreaming, I left our large tent to greet the new day and witness my last sunrise this side of the Sundering Seas.

I am not disappointed. The sky is rose and gold and amethyst and blue, the sunbeams reaching through the clouds like hands of the Valar. Middle-earth has given me a scene more beautiful than a painting for my farewell gift.

Standing guard at the field's edge is Narunir. The light frames his lithe figure. Perhaps he is aware of my presence but is leaving me to my thoughts and memories. I tried persuading him it was a journey he need not take, that Thranduil would protect me, but he was insistent.

I swallow a lump in my throat as I remember the fateful night of the battle so long ago. He was the only one at my side as I attempted to heal Thranduil, and joined in with my prayers, forming an unbreakable bond between us. Upon becoming Queen, I requested him to be my personal guard. He has been reluctant to leave my side since. He is a true friend.

He is not so young anymore, and has a family of his own. His Silvan wife does not wish to cross the Sea, and I know he shall not leave her. I suspect his desire to accompany me had less to do with my protection and more to do with goodbye. I dread it, for I know I shall not see him again.

I hear a flock of gulls in the distance, but also the forest finches singing a morning melody. They remind me of those from the Greenwood. Shall there be such cheerful birds in Valinor?

I have said farewell to many friends, to my Silvan kin who will never have the Sea-longing. But while there is an ache at the loss, there is joy abounding in my heart. I shall soon see my family again. I have not seen Ada since the day after my wedding and coronation; he departed on his gray horse with a proud grin, finally free from the worry over my well-being, and looking forward to the world to come. I still remember his parting words as if he just spoke them.

"I knew Thranduil was in love with you for a long time, iell nín, but it was not until I realized you returned his feelings when I grew concerned. While we were in Imladris for your sister's wedding I searched the vast library of records, hoping to find a circumstance when a second marriage had been permitted. It had only happened once, in an even stranger situation than yours, but it made me wonder if the Valar could have mercy once more.

Nevertheless, I still intended to warn you, to advise you to live with your sister in Imladris for a time. But something held me back. Instead of dissuading you, I found myself almost encouraging you. At the time I did not understand, but I believe I do now.

Do not weep for me, iell nín, for you have found new life again, and now I go to find mine."

It has been almost as long since I have seen my sister and nephew. Thranduil took me for a visit to Imladris soon after our wedding, a stay filled with laughter and story-telling late into the evenings, even as the beautiful city around us faded away. It was to be our only visit, for Faeleth and Lindir did not wish to stay after Lord Elrond's departure.