Chapter 3.

I spent so long crying in my ridiculously extravagant bed  that I lost track of the slight idea of time I'd been trying to hold onto. Having my blood taken had made me a little lightheaded, but knowing what they were doing with it was what really made me feel sick. Everything I'd known had been a lie. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly trying not to think of all of the girls I've known for years back at Drighten that will soon become meals, or slaves, or both. My mind wandered to Greer and I wasn't sure what I should feel. Of course I was happy that she wasn't sold, but at the same time I didn't want her to be here either. The realization set in that it is me against her like a sinking rock in my gut. Me, Greer, and four other girls, pinned against one another for the affection of some creepy prince who wants to marry one of us and drink our blood.  

I shivered in the bed.

There was a soft knock on my door and I sat up quickly, wiping the tears from my face and trying my best to look composed even though my insides were all in knots. "Come in." I called out strongly, even though I wasn't even sure if I get to give permission on whether or not people enter my room. I didn't have to give permission for them to take my blood, so I'm guessing I probably don't.

Regardless, Fern waited outside until I told her to come in. "Hello, miss." Fern said timidly as she strode gracefully over to the bed. "Didn't you get any sleep at all?" She said disapprovingly as she shook her head at me.

"No." I said flatly, then sighed. "I tried, but I couldn't." I lied.

Fern smiled lightly, moving closer to me and pressing her fingers to the big bags under my eyes. "The ball will be tonight at seven, so you'll need to start preparing yourself soon."

I furrowed my brows, leaning out of the way of her icy probing. "What time is it now?" I asked. I knew it had been some time, but I hadn't realized it had been that much time.

"It's about four in the afternoon, Miss." She looked around the room with a confused expression for a moment then shrugged. "I'll get you a clock for your room, Miss. They must've forgotten it."

There was another knock on my door, and two women pushed carts packed high with clothing bags into the room and over to the empty racks. Behind them, a man came in holding up six long dress bags, and despite myself and my situation, I couldn't help get a little excited at the sight of them. I'd worn the same drab ratty hand-me-down clothes for eight years now.

"Let's get you cleaned up." Fern said in a chipper voice while I continued watching the people hang up all of my new clothes. "You'll want to look your best." She cooed, drawing my attention. "Tonight it very important."

Right. Make the prince like me, or die. How could I forget?

I nodded mechanically and followed her on jelly knees into the washroom while everyone else filed out of the room in a hurry, none bothering to give me a second, or even first glance. She walked around the large tub and went over to a small panel on the wall and typed something into it. As she turned back to me, I jumped when the water began to slosh into the tub, but instead of coming from a faucet or overhead, it filled from the bottom out of the small jets. When the water was nearing the top, Fern quickly pulled a small vile out of her pocket and she let two big green drops fall down into the water. On impact, the water began to sizzle and a flowery aroma filled the air, wrapping me in it. I closed my eyes and I could almost imagine I was outside.

"What is that?" I asked curiously as the surface of the water continued to ripple and fizz.

She smiled at me while she tucked it into her pocket again. "Our little secret," she whispered, watching the door carefully. "The prince will loves this sent." She said tapping her hand on top of her pocket. "I figured it couldn't hurt to give you a little edge, not that your beauty doesn't give you one already." She giggled and I blushed under the praise. "Don't worry though, it's only an oil, it will make you smell delightful, and I also find it makes your skin so soft."