Car Crashes & Unlikely Allies

Mercy pushed off of the ground and stood, her palms stretched out at her sides. She could feel her mind buzzing in anticipation and the adrenaline pumping through her veins. The SUV was speeding toward her and it showed no signs of stopping.

Mercy's skin tingled and she was aware of the contours of her limbs tightening until every inch of her skin was sharp and taught.

She clenched her teeth, biting against the pain as the talons pushed out from her nail beds.

She wondered how truly frightening she looked to anyone passing by. She had never looked at herself when she was transformed to the fullest of her abilities.

They didn't condone mirrors in containment. After all, with talons like these she could have easily broken it and made it a weapon of mass destruction if need be.

Mercy caught sight of her crimson red and sparkling gold scales, but that was the extent of how much she had seen of herself.

At least when her skin morphed, the pain was becoming increasingly nonexistent. When the talons came in and her bones shifted, that was a different story.

The black car swerved to avoid hitting her and Mercy took the opportunity to strike. Her talons reached out, swiping at the tires as they passed by her.

The SUV lost control after she slashed the first tire and the car swerved into her. The body of the car pushed at her chest, knocking the breath out of her, and grazed the dragon-like scales covering her skin.

She'd feel the sting from that later on as well.

The SUV, relying on nothing but flat tires, spun out of control and rolled. Mercy prayed that the people inside had not been killed.

Her plan was to destroy the car so that the men would not be able to follow them. Hopefully, the men inside were only knocked unconscious and her idea hadn't caused permanent damage.

Mercy dragged her sore body over to where the driver's side door lay bent. She pulled at the dented frame, prodding at it and putting in as much force as she could muster until the door groaned, bowing outward until it was released from its hinges.

The man closest to her coughed and sputtered. Mercy reached in and sliced through the seatbelt with a jerk of her talon. The agent pushed out of the car and fell to a heap on the ground.

Besides the shear look of panic in his eyes and heavy breathing, he was particularly unscathed. It cleared her conscience to know that at least one of the passengers was alright.

Satisfied, Mercy ran to the other side of the vehicle to help whoever was left inside the car. It was only a matter of time before the car caught fire from the exhaust heating the air and she needed to get each man out before they ran out of time.

"How many people were in the car with you?" She called to the agent on the side of the road.

"Three including myself!" The man yelled. "Please, don't kill them. They're my sons." He pleaded in agony as if they were already dead.

Mercy shivered. This was yet another incident that led her to believe she was a monster.

Her intentions had been good, but it had come at the cost of harming these men. Terror followed her wherever she went. Mercy couldn't escape it.

"I won't harm any of you. I'll get them out, but you must swear to me that you will not continue this assignment."

The man sniffled. "Fine, I'll do as you ask! Please, get them out! There isn't much time and I'm not about to lose my sons because of your actions!" His voice shook as he called out to her in anger and fear.