Enemies Resurfaced

We've been waiting for you to come save us.  Get us out of these cages and we'll help you defeat these men.

    Mercy gasped and took a step back.  The boy had sent her his thoughts.  He was communicating to her in a way no one would be able to hear except for her.

The young girl in the cage stopped and scanned the crowd in search of her.  The boy must have alerted her to their presence.  Her eyes caught Mercy's and she rubbed at a tear where it fell from her eye.

"Help me." She mouthed to Mercy.

Mercy stiffened as his voice broke through her mind again.

Do not fret, Mercy Baudelaire. We are on your side. 

She nodded at the boy in confirmation and turned to her friends.  The moment she turned away, Mercy saw one man step forward and electrocute the young boy.

He yelled in pain and his eyes latched onto hers once again as the sparks coursed through his body.  Mercy winced at the sound of his anguished screams and let her team know what had transpired between the two.

    "Miles, Dennison, go take care of the controls. Find the switch to unleash those two from their cages as well. We need them."

    Rogue stiffened. "How do you know they'll help us?  You can't act on your impulses just because he communicated telepathically with you." He scowled.

    "Despite the secrets between us I still have faith in you.  These two aren't any different.  You once said you trusted me, I'd like you to give me some incentive to know that you still do."

    "I'll leave you all to hurry and decide what action you will be taking.  Miles and I will take care of shutting this place down and the cages to free those two.

"If you say they will help, then I have no reason to think otherwise."

Dennison nodded at his son.  "If you'll excuse us we have a few controls to wipe out."  Dennison raced through the lattice-work corridor towards the control room and Miles followed at his heels.

    Rogue stepped forward.  "We can't stall for them forever.  At best, we would have a handful of minutes.  Our best option is to attack now but we need to be sure that no one can escape."

    Mercy shivered.  "The only way of guaranteeing that is if we wait for Dennison to turn on the lock system. It's the only way.  If we start a commotion now, many of them could easily escape."

    "I agree, but I can't let them keep torturing those two."

    "Says the man that didn't want to easily trust them." Mercy cocked her head to the side.  "You can metal-bend.  Why not try to undo the latches that way?"

    Rogue shook his head.  "There's diamonds encrusted in the metal.  I can't move the lock mechanism because the minerals and waves associated with the gemstone interfere with my ability to do that.  If I could use my metal tricks, I would have done it by now."

    Mercy nodded.  "All the more reason that we must wait.  Dennison is quick. It won't take him long."

    "You're right about that.  My father can get controls taken care of easily, but it's the risk that they'll notice us before then that worries me." Terrance spoke.

He turned to look at Rogue. "You say you can't stand them being tortured, but you can't use your powers to unpin the locks.  Mercy's fire would have no easy solution and would cause too much attention. I could get pieces of the floor and bash it against the cage, but we all know how these people would react to that one."