Just Getting Started

"This is the location?"

Rogue's voice rose an octave.  "You've got to be kidding me."  He moaned. 

"This is a waste of space building and they house mutants here?  We aren't meant to be dumped off like garbage."

"This is the file and storage unit.  It's a little rusty, but only because it's not used often."  Dennison explained. 

"There may be one or two captives, but the primary function of this branch is to gain knowledge of those with special gifts.  They don't particularly care for setting up mutants in this residence.  It is not stable enough to handle the gifts some of you possess."  Dennison shrugged. 

"Either way, they're less likely to kill you than the other operating team.  In my opinion, we could use a healthy dose of relaxation. Besides, we need answers and this is our only shot to find them."

Terrance shuffled around, his arm reaching out behind him to the back of the car where Dennison had stuffed a duffle bag at the beginning of their trip.

  Mercy heard the sound of the zipper Terrance's hands made quick work of opening the material. 

His shoulder bumped against her as he rummaged through the bag and its contents.  Mercy moved closer to Rogue to give Terrance more room to maneuver around.

Terrance glanced at her with a wary smile as he pulled his arms back towards him.  Mercy's gaze locked onto the tight, knitted fabric gripped tightly in his hands. 

"There's nothing I hate more than forcing you to do this, Red, but we have to keep up the charades."  He held the fabric out to her. 

Mercy scowled.  "You want me to wear a straightjacket?  What am I a psychopathic killer?"  She growled, shaking her head.

  "That's a little much, don't you think?"

Terrance sighed and glanced around her.  "Rogue, a little help here?"  He pleaded. 

Rogue shrugged.  "I'm not telling Mercy what she can and cannot do.  You want to force her to wear it, then you'll be the one doing the talking."

He crossed his arms around his chest and turned his gaze to the window at his side. 

There wasn't much getting through to Rogue when he was in one of his moods.  If you wanted him to crack, to open up, he had to be the one to make that decision.

Returning his gaze to Mercy, Terrance spoke, "This whole thing is ridiculous, believe me, but it's just a safety measure if my father can't get them to believe him.  I won't tighten it around you.  We'll keep it lose, but I need you to put it on."

Mercy sighed wearily, "Is this really necessary?"

Terrance shrugged.  "Maybe or maybe not.  It's a better option than what they might think of you walking in without one."

She laughed, venom filling her veins, her voice sounding malicious to her own ears.  "Of course, let's give them easier access to torture me in there."  

She ripped the fabric out of her friend's hand, pushing her arms through holes and turning her head to look over at Rogue.  His attention had since focused in on her and his eyes moved to meet hers. 

"Could you help me?"  Her voice softened as she spoke to him. 

She had no reason to be angry with neither him, nor Terrance for that matter, but this whole plan was starting to get the best of her and she didn't like the thought of being trapped inside the tight material.

His eyes gleamed with what looked like desire.  He quickly lowered his face, moving his gaze about the back of her jacket.  His fingers touched down on her neck lightly and the cool feeling made Mercy shiver.