Chapter 35

A/N: Trivia time! The Red Wolf pack where Everett's Lisa is from is named after one of you, my awesome readers - CHLOERedWolf, and the Silver Bullets' sacred tree is the hazel tree, after another of you - Hazel_Tree.

See?

Not only your comments, but even your usernames sometimes inspire me!

Thank you all so much for supporting my work with your votes and comments! I love you all!

*****

Monday morning started with a heavy rain and a headache-inducing phone call.

"I went to the last crime scene to check if we've missed something," Kelly said as soon as I picked up. "Alec was there."

I groaned and rubbed my temples, wondering when was the last time I'd spent a day without receiving bad news.

"Did you tell Everett yet?" I asked.

"Yeah. I know I should report to you after I report to Keri, but I thought he'd want to know ASAP."

"Good call."

I sighed and sat up in my bed, watching the torrent through my window.

"Want to know what Alec was doing?"

An image flashed through my mind, one of my nephew casually walking around the crime scene, scooping from a vanilla-flavored ice cream while the soles of his shoes tinted with the blood of the latest victim.
"Please tell me he wasn't looking at the blood and grinning," I begged.

"Actually he seemed thoughtful. I think he might be trying to figure the case out so he can help us."

I snorted and got up.

"It's my nephew you are talking about, remember?" I asked, clenching the phone between my cheek and shoulder while I put on a clean pair of jeans.

"Exactly because of that, Rhys. Anthony told me about his suspicions of Alec eavesdropping on us during the Council meeting the other night... What if that's when he'd decided to do something about it?

My phone almost fell when I shook my head, but I managed to catch it and that without accidently turning it off.

"He might be half-Dayer, but he's also half-shifter," Kelly was saying when I brought the device back to my ear. "Wolf shifter. We are big on family and like it or not, he is half-Flemings."

I didn't like it and I was pretty sure Alec abhorred it, but Kelly had a point. He was half-Flemings and therefore half a wolf-shifter. Maybe there was some small part of him that wanted to help, something in his blood that compelled him to, surely to the boy's annoyance.

"What did Everett and Keri say about this?"

"Are these all the files?"

Her question made me raise an eyebrow before I realized that her voice was quieter and she was probably talking to one of her colleagues.

"Thanks," I heard and then, louder: "Everett said he'd call Alec, but neither of us is holding our breath that the boy will answer..."

Make that three of us.

"... And he also mentioned something about phoning Vika."

"Good," I muttered with a nod when I heard my brother was about to act on the advice I'd given him.