SIX

Skylar panicked. He didn't know what to do. Of all the people on Haladras he wished to see but couldn't, Kendyl was on the top of the list. Despite that, he couldn't help but stare at her. Her red hair still burned like a flame. And her face...

Stop it! he chided himself. This was no time to get falling into a trance.

"What is going on with 'ya?" said Endrick loudly.

If only the paths had been built wider. Then they might have been able to pass by Kendyl without her noticing them. So far, her eyes had remained trained on the ground. But once they reached her, she could have to look up. Was his disguise good enough to fool her? It was too risky to find out.

"Turn around," he hurriedly muttered to Endrick.

"What! Turn around? What for?"

"Just do it!"

Rolling his eyes, Endrick turned around. Eager to get ahead, Skylar moved to pass Endrick. As he stepped, his foot caught on Endrick's ankle, and he tumbled to the ground. Breaking loose from his face, the desert shroud fell over the edge of the pathway. Scrambling on all fours, Skylar attempted to arrest its fall. But it escaped it reach and flitted down the face of the Gorge wall.

He knew he should get up and keep walking the other way. Something inside him couldn't resist looking over. He could feel her looking at him. He'd already been caught. What good would running away do?

Still, on all fours, he turned and looked over.

Ther she stood, stopped on the path, her arms folded, and her blue eyes fixed directly on him. No warmth emanated from those eyes. For a moment he thought he detected a touch of sadness in them. It was only a moment before they flashed with coldness.

"I don't recall you ever wearing a desert shroud before, Skylar," she said, her voice honed with a slight edge. "Or do you just wear it to avoid the people you don't want to see. Like me, for instance?"

Kendyl gave Skylar no time to respond before taking off back up the path. Momentarily stunned at the unexpected encounter, Skylar stood fixed to the spot, watching her walk away.

"Let her go," said Endrick. "Dames always lead to trouble."

Skylar sighed. Endrick was right. He should let her go.

"Be right back."

He hurried up the path after her.

"Let her go!" came Endrick voice from behind.

When he caught up with her, he tried to get her to stop. She kept walking stolidly forward. She refused even to look at him.

"Kendyl, I wasn't just trying to hide from you," he said.

"Oh? So, you were trying to hide from me and everyone else. Thanks, that makes me feel much better."

She kept walking.

"That's not what I meant. It's just that...I can't let anyone know I'm on Haladras. No can know why I came."

"Whatever you came for, it obviously didn't include me."

"I wanted to see you. I've wanted to see you for a long time. It's just—"

"You're too busy. I know. Well, I happen to be in a hurry myself. So, please just leave me alone."

This was too much for Skylar. He grabbed her arm and forced her to stop.

"Will you not talk to me for one minute?" he pleaded.

"Now you want to talk to me? After pretending I didn't exist for over a year? Please, let me go. I'm going to be late."

With that, she yanked her arm free of his grasp and continued marching up the path.