THIRTY-FIVE

While Grüny readied himself at the controls, Kendyl and Endrick fastened themselves into a pair of launch seats.

"What? Have you gained so much weight, you're not going to bounce away when this thing blasts out of here?" said Endrick when he saw that Skylar was not taking a seat.

"I think I should watch as Grüny initiates the takeoff. I know we're going to bring a swarm of soldiers on us. But how many, and how soon..."

"Fine. You watch, so you can tell the soldiers to stop coming if they get to be too many."

Skylar honestly didn't know what he was going to do if the situation outside grew too instense. Likely, there was nothing he could do. But he couldn't endure the thought of sitting blindly, wondering if at any moment their shuttle was going to be blasted out of the sky.

As he peered out the same window he and Kendyl had sat by, he watched for signs of life on the landing field. Amber lights marked the perimeter of the myriad of launch pads spread about the field. From the tops of each shuttle, a single blue beacon pulsated slowly. A torch-wielding sentry walked along an invisible route, making his usual rounds. A shadowy clump of soldiers made its way between two outpost buildings. A calm night at camp.

Beneath his feet, the ship began to rumble. The ship's engines. A low, rising hum joined the strengthening rumble. Skylar braced himself against the bulwark. Within seconds, the hum had grown to a roar.

He looked back out the window. As he knew would happen, they had drawn attention to themselves. Given the blare of the engine, he expected to see half the empress' army come charging from their tents, blasters . Instead, he saw only a handful of guards moving toward the ship. Further out, shadow-drenched figures peered from tents or outposts, watching, curious.

Skylar's hope rallied inside him. A handful of soldiers would not stop them. And there was not a blaster cannon in sight. He wondered if he should even fear that. Would they shoot down their own shuttle-the empress', no less-without knowing for certain who occupied it?

The rumble beneath his feet intensified. A familiar pressure deep in his gut told him they were leaving the ground. From the cockpit, Skylar heard the radio come to life. A landing field controller was demanding to know what was going on. Grüny ignored it. The ship rose higher. They were going to make it.

A sudden lurch of the shuttle sent Skylar tumbling to the floor.

"Great Yurik!" cried Endrick. "What was that?"

Skylar scrambled to his feet and rushed back to the window, expecting to see some explanation for why the ship had lurched. But the scene outside gave no indication. Had they hit something, or something hit them?

He stumbled to the cockpit.

Grüny's bald head was as red as a fire brand. A stream of curses flowed from the pilot's mouth.

"What happened?" said Skylar, raising his voice to a near shout to be heard above the roar of the shuttle and Grüny's curses.

"We're anchored down, that's what happened!" yelled Grüny. "Didn't you think to check for tethers before you got on this ship?"

No, the thought had never crossed his mind.

"Can't you break them? The ship must have enough upward thrust."

"Depends on the cables, and how many. Be a miracle if I can do it without slamming us onto the ground."

Grüny said all this between gritted teeth, as his arms fought with the controls to keep the ship steady.