SIXTEEN

Slem grabbed Kendyl by the wrist and yanked her closer. Latching onto her other wrist with his free hand, he held her next to his massive chest. Kendyl let out a squeal and tried to break away. But Slem's iron grip held fast.

"I know exactly what to do with this one," he said, licking his pudgy lips.

"Get your grimly hands off her!" cried Skylar, as he attempted to free Kendyl from the smuggler's grasp.

Slem lifted a booted foot, and struck Skylar squaring in the gut. The wind rushed out of his lungs, his body hurled backwards. As he hit the floor, he gasped for air. He forced himself to climb to his feet again and prepare to charge back.

A steady hand gripped his shoulder.

"You won't help her any if you're dead," said Endrick in a low tone. "Stand down or you'll get yourself shot. They have weapons, we don't."

Skylar didn't care if they killed him. He couldn't just stand by and watch these brutes have their way with Kendyl. Endrick, was right, though. Nothing he could do at that moment could possibly help her. They were powerless again the smugglers' blasters.

"Is that your boyfriend?" jeered Slem, pulling Kendyl tighter against his chest. "You deserve better than that scrawny imp. I'll show you what a real man-"

Kendyl suddenly stamped the heel of her foot down onto the guard's toes with a crushing force. A sharp crack of bones, following by a holler of pain from the guard made Skylar wince. Caught by surprise and shocked with pain, Slem let loose his hold on Kendyl's right wrist. Desperately, she tried to flee. But Slem kept hold of the other.

Quickly recovering, the guard raised a clinched fist.

"Want to play rough, is it?" he snarled. "I can play as rough as you like."

He made to strike.

"Don't touch her!" commanded a voice that made Slem freeze.

All turned to find Tanks standing by, his eyes fixed on Kendyl. That same discomfiting smile which made Skylar's stomach churn the first time they met covered the smuggler chief's face. That same feeling filled Skylar now-only magnified ten times over.

"Come on, Boss," said the Slem, sounding like a reprimanded schoolboy. "I was just going to have a little fun with her."

"No," snapped Tanks, stepping closer. "None of you will touch her. A pretty little jewel like that will fetch four times what the whole lot of them will."

He made a scornful gesture in the direction of Skylar and the other captives.

"But she must be undamaged. Unabused," he went on. "Do you understand?"

Slem grudgingly affirmed.

"Good," said Tanks. "Now, to ensure her safety, she'll be kept in my quarters."

It was all Skylar could do to keep from crying out in dismay. Safety? With that dog? She would be safer bound with cords and thrown into a serpent pit.

"Now," he said to Kendyl, his oily voice full of suppressed venom, "if you cooperate-nicely-I promise not to do anything rash to your friends."

Kendyl hesitated, turned and glanced back at Skylar. Don't do it, Skylar wanted to say. What alternative did she have? Tanks-he knew-was not going to accept no for an answer. And for all his lack of honor, Tanks' greed might be strong enough to curtail any of his other desires.

Slowly, Kendyl nodded her head.

Skylar thought he could feel the fear in her heart, throbbing tangibly through the stifling air.