Chapter 25 - Part 1

Chapter 25 – Part 1

I parked my car in my parents’ driveway and I saw that my mom's car wasn't there.  I felt so nervous that my hands were sweaty.  I got to the front door and I walked in the house.

I could see my grandfather standing in the kitchen.  "Hi." I said before closing the front door.  

He turned around and smiled at me.  "Hello Amanda.  How are you?" He asked politely.

I closed the door and walked to the kitchen.

"I'm good.  I came to talk to my parents, well when my mom gets home." I told him.

"That's good..." He said.  It had almost been two months that my grandparents had been around and it was still awkward.  Our silent moments weren't comfortable and I was always trying to think of something to say that would interest him or my grandmother.

"Yeah... How do you and grandma like the apartment?" I asked.

"It's good... clean and quiet..." He said, looking everywhere except at me.

"Do you need help?  In the kitchen I mean." I asked.

"No, I'm good thanks.  I was going to make a sandwich...late lunch." He said with a small smile finally giving me eye contact.

"Okay..." I stood there not knowing what to do.

I looked around the kitchen and I still couldn't come up with a sentence that would make sense so I gave up.

"Is my dad in his room?" I asked.

"No he's in the living room with your grandmother." He said, again not looking at me.

I wasn't sure if he disliked me or if he was just sad.  He was a hard man to read and I couldn't understand why he was behaving the way that he was.

"Okay, thanks." I told him.

I could hear the TV as I got closer to the living room.  The volume wasn't high but just enough to listen to it and have a conversation at the same time.

"Hi!" I said to both of them as I walked in the living room.

"Hi honey!  This is a surprise I didn't know you were stopping by." My dad said.

"Well I was in the neighbourhood." I lied and the look my dad gave me, he knew I was lying.

"How are you dear?" My grandmother asked.

"I'm good thanks.  How are you?"

"Very well thank you.  Did you just finish work?" She asked.