Chapter 12: To The Rescue

MORRIE

MORRIE

THOSE TWO were taking too much time. I had an idea on where they went and what they did. No, not that sort of thing, but something related to this case. The curiosity got the better of them—or should I say, of Harriet—and they decided to expose the truth on their own.

"Okay! Next pair!" SPO1 Cosmiano called Andre and Sherry into the crime scene. What an usual pairing they made. Only two pairs left before Wilhelmina and I were called.

We might be the least talkative pair in the class. I did most of the talking and started the conversation while Wilhelmina kept on scribbling on her iPad's screen. It would have been better if she could open her mouth and share her thoughts freely without any restriction. But that was nothing but a dream.

I sometimes wonder why Mina would never bother to let us hear her voice, however it may sound. Rumors said that she did not want to waste energy in small talks so she kept her mouth shut. But I think there's something else, a deeper meaning behind her silence. A trauma, perhaps? Something might have happened in her past that rendered her... speechless. And now, she couldn't overcome that trauma.

But that's totally none of my business. It was starting to get boring here so I decided to dwell into the possibilities on why my partner would rather communicate via Morse code — even a simple "yes" or "no" — than to utter those words. Thanks to the sudden disappearance of our two classmates, my mind found another distraction.

"I'm planning to go down the hotel lobby while we are waiting for our turn. Do you mind?" I asked, shooting a sideward glance at her.

Wilhelmina quickly wrote the following dots and dashes on her gadget and showed it to me.

•-- --- •-• •-• •• • -••
•- -••• --- ••- -
•••• •- •-• •-• •• • -
•- -• -••
•- •• -•• • -•

Thankfully, I have mastered the characters in the Morse code so translating her thoughts wouldn't take too much time. And thankfully, I could use my basic knowledge in decoding.

And she's also sharp to notice the absence of the two. They say that Watsonians seldom talk because they closely observe everything in their surroundings. Wilhelmina would be the living proof of that description.

"You know Harriet, she cannot resist the thrill of the chase," I whispered so nearby classmates wouldn't hear me. "Remember when you were abducted into the clock tower? She did not inform the authorities first that someone might be being held captive. She charged inside and climbed all the way up just to rescue you."

•-- •• •-•• •-••
••• •••• •
-•-• --- -• ••-• •-• --- -• -
••• ••- ••• •--• • -•-• -