Chapter 25: Dead End?

MORRIE

MORRIE

I LOOKED down the pit where the wailing voice of a man came from. There, Wilhelmina and I saw the seemingly helpless Aiden cradling Harriet's unconscious body.

"Tulong! Tulong!" the poor Adlerian cried, looking up on us. His applegreen sweater was covered in dirt, probably due to the fall. "Morrie! Mina!"

"He-Help them," the Watsonian muttered, her voice cracked and a hint of worry dawned on her face.

When our team parted ways somewhere in this mythical forest, Mina suggested in a few words that we go look for our teammates instead of getting out of this maze-like place. My plan was to reach the wooden cabins first then ask for help from our instructor and other school personnel.

Without any complain, I followed Mina's suggestion and went back to the intersection point where we separated ways. Fortunately, the hound was nowhere to be found, giving us a safe passage to where Harriet and Aiden might have gone. Impressions left by their shoes on the moist ground helped us find our way to them.

"Morrie! Morrie!" Aiden's voice was pleading as if something bad was about to happen. "Kailangan nating dalhin kaagad si Harriet sa cabin! Nakagat siya ng poisonous na ahas! Nawalan na siya ng malay! Kung hindi tayo kikilos agad, baka may mangyaring masama sa kanya!"

"Venomous," I corrected.

Though he was a few meters down the earth, I could see Aiden's alarmed face flashing a confused look. "What?"

"The snake is venomous, not poisonous," I explained. "Common mistake. If you bite the snake and you fall ill, it's poisonous. If the snake bites you and you fall ill, it's venomous."

"I appreciate the lesson on diction, pero mas kailangan ni Harriet ang tulong mo!" his voice was cracking as well. Don't get me wrong. I fully understand how grave the situation was. Someone's life was on the line.

But what could I do? I couldn't fly down there and lift them one by one. I don't have sticky fingers or skin that would allow me to climb down the rocks without falling and cracking my skull.

My eyes gazed at the unconscious Harriet who was turning paler as seconds went by. She may have called me and my fellow Moriartians names and she's probably one of the biggest threats in my House's grand scheme, but I couldn't afford to lose a rival. Well, a game is more engaging when there's a competent player around

Wilhelmina pulled my left sleeve, prompting me to turn to her. Thanks to her gadget running out of batteries, I wouldn't have to bother myself with decoding her messages. I hope she'd keep it that way. In this teambuilding, an efficient way of communication is a must.

"Vine," she uttered, pointing at the vines hanging on the tree branches. My eyes looked up. The long, slender stems swinging like ropes were a meter above my head.