Chapter 32: Into the Dark

HARRIET

HARRIET

NARAMDAMAN KO kung gaano ka-awkward ang sitwasyon sa aming cabin. The four of us had no choice but to share the same space and breathe the same air.

The heavy rain was pouring outside and the wind was blowing so hard, hammering at our wooden windows. Kahit na gawa sa kahoy ang bahay na 'to, wala namang pumapatak na tubig sa loob.

While Mina and I were busy fixing our own beds, Aiden went near the fireplace and shoved some wood into the flames. Kahit paano, may silbi naman pala siya, hindi gaya ng isa riyan na nakahiga sa kama at pa-relax-relax lang.

"Dapat talaga inihiwalay ang mga lalaki at babae," I complained. "Baka kung ano pang gawin sa atin ng dalawang 'yan. Mina, you must always be on your guard."

Dahil walang power outlet sa aming cabin, hindi tuloy nakapag-charge ang kasama naming Watsonian ng kanyang iPad. She had no choice but to communicate with us the way how normal person communicates with others: through talking.

"I trust them," tugon ni Mina. "They won't harm us."

Umiling ako. "Trusting them is the last thing that should cross your mind, lalo na sa Moriartard na 'yan."

"Was trusting me a bad decision, Mina?" Morrie addressed the Watsonian. Trying to get her on your side, huh? Tingnan natin kung ano ang isasagot ni Mina.

"Morrie is not bad," she replied.

Halos magdikit tuloy ang mga kilay ko. Hindi pa naman siguro ako nabibingi, 'no? Note how she used the term "not bad" instead of "good." But the context was still the same. She wasn't thinking ill of my mortal enemy.

"How about me, Mina?" tanong ni Aiden, lumapit sa amin matapos ang kanyang ginagawa sa fireplace. "Nagtitiwala ka rin ba sa akin?"

"You are not bad either," she answered.

Pakiramdam ko tuloy, dumoble ang magkadikit kong kilay. I hope she wasn't threatened or blackmailed by either of these two to speak good of them.

"Wilhelmina isn't the type of person who would lie," Morrie said. "She did not think twice of trusting me when I stood as the team leader earlier. While someone was fast asleep, we were out there, trying our best to win despite our disadvantage."

"Do you think I really wanted to be bitten by a snake?" Napakapit ang aking hawak sa unan. I would have thrown this thing at him out of disgust, but I controlled myself. "At huwag mo akong sisihin kung nalagay kayo sa isang disadvantageous na posisyon. Sir Dred offered you the choice to postpone the activities while I was recovering. Ano'ng ginawa mo? You still went on with the games kahit wala ako."

"If we chose retreat, the other teams would think low of us," Morrie defended his position in the calmest way possible. "Victory would taste better if a team with one incapacitated member beats them. Without your help, we managed to outwit Team Quattro and Team Crux. We could have won if it weren't for that dog."