14. Misfits

Narrated Abu Hurairah (may Allaah be pleased with him): Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon) said, "A woman can be married for four reasons: her wealth, her lineage, her beauty, and her religious commitment. Choose the one with religious commitment lest your hands be covered in dust (due to destitution)."

-Saheeh Bukhari & Muslim

* * *

She froze at her mother's proclamation. Her mind drew blank. She forgot about blinking and forgot how to exhale. For a moment, nothing made sense-absolutely nothing. Her eyes stayed fix on her mother. Her lashes never once met their significant other. Outside, a car honked; and with that noise, her thoughts came spiralling down on her with such intensity.

Engagement? Did Mom just say engagement? My engagement? As in, me as a bride? What about the groom? Who on earth is he?

She opened her mouth and then closed it, trying to make sense of what was happening. She was sure she had heard wrong. It couldn't be. It just couldn't. How could she have received a rishta and not come to know of it? How could it have gotten so far without her being aware of it? Her family had not told her anything and had not asked her for her consent. She had no freaking clue as to who the guy was or that such a thing had been brewing in her household.

For how long has this even been happening?

There was just one plausible explanation for the direction her thoughts were heading, and Manha seized it. She decided she had heard wrong. That was what it had to be. She was positive that being immersed in the thoughts of her friend's impending wedding had started to take a toll on her. That was what it was. Of all the things that had to happen to her, she had started to hear things these days.

Manha blinked her eyes in quick succession to clear her thoughts and did the only thing that came to her mind to relieve herself of the tension that had built inside of her-she opened her mouth and chuckled.

Her mother drew her brows together and flashed her a scathing look. "What are you laughing at?"

"I'm sorry, Mom." Manha pressed her lips into a thin line. "With all the things that are happening, I'm starting to hear things these days."

"Manha." The tone was stern. "Let me get this straight. You are not hearing things. I did tell you about your engagement, and I do want you to take a day off tomorrow." There was a prolonged sigh before she continued, "You are getting engaged within a month and married at the end of two. It has all been decided." She crossed her arms and shifted her stance, preparing herself to face the rebuke she knew was to come.

Sure enough, Manha's eyes rounded in horror, and she sprang from her seat. "What are you telling me?" Throwing her hands in the air in helplessness, she started pacing. "I was not even aware that a rishta had come in the first place." She closed her eyes, a pained expression darting across her face. Before looking up, her eyes lit with fury. "You've decided the groom. You've decided the date. You have gone ahead, planned it all behind my back, and didn't even deem it necessary to tell me?"

The response she received was a cynical look casted in her direction. "I'm telling you now, am I not? Before a month."

"Mom, are you kidding me? A month?" Her voice rose a notch without her being aware of it. "What do I do within a month when I have no idea of the person I'd be getting tied down with for the rest of my life?"

"Watch your tone with me, young lady. I didn't even know who your father was until after the nikkah. My sisters had it the same away, so did my mother, and your father's mother for that matter. We were not questioned about our desires and decisions or informed anything about our grooms. If I wanted, I could have gone ahead and done the same thing with you; but I know the days are changing, and things are not the same anymore. I'm being generous enough to grant you the privilege of knowing who the guy is before the engagement."