20. Sibling Love

Abu Hurairah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “I command you to take care of women in a good manner. They are like the upper part of a rib which is most bent; if you try to straighten it, you will break it. So I command you to take care of women in a good manner.”

–Saheeh Bukhari & Saheeh Muslim

*         *         *

“Bhai,” Eshaal called out, expecting a reply from the darkened terrace. “Bhai.”

She wasn’t receiving a response; so she opened the door wider and stepped on to the chilled floor, shuddering slightly when her feet came in contact with the cold tiles of the terrace.

“Bhai, are you there?” She had to squint when the darkness blinded her for a few seconds. Standing still, she let her eyes adjust to the dim and almost non-existing light. Slowly, the rods and cones in the retina of her eyes started to adjust, and she was vaguely able to make out the silhouette of her brother. He was half seated, half sprawled on the terrace floor with the support of a cement pillar, seemingly gazing blindly at the night sky.

“Bhai.” He made no movement. His eyes still transfixed at the object of fascination—whatever it was. “Bhaiii. Still no reply.  Believing her brother wouldn’t be returning from his dreamland anytime soon, she slowly crept towards him. He didn’t even sense her coming. She decided to take advantage of that fact by kneeling down a few inches from him and screamed into his ears.

Her brother flinched at the sound. His head turned to face her, a deep scowl making its way to his face. Her vision was becoming clearer by the minute, and she was easily able to make out the look of displeasure he sported. Her reply to it was a cheeky grin.

“Have you gone mad?” Irritation laced his tone.

She rolled her eyes haughtily. “Nope.”

“Yes,” he replied. “You aren’t going mad. You were mad right from the beginning.”

She ignored him, choosing to instead settle comfortably on the floor. She edged towards the pillar her brother was leaning on and pushed roughly against his shoulder to make space for herself.

Her brother flashed her a scowl. “Are you aware that you are becoming more violent as we near your wedding date? I’m afraid we are handing over a rogue to Tanvir. I almost pity the guy. He has absolutely no idea what he has signed up for. Poor chap. Tsk tsk.”

“Save it.” She rolled her eyes at him. “You’d miss all of this once I’m gone.”

“Must you remind me of that at every turn?” The words were mumbled softly, obviously not intended for her ears; but, since the night embracing the land was deadly silent, she was able to catch them crystal clear.

“What?” she questioned, faking confusion but, at the same time, internally hoping her brother would give her what she has been yearning for ever since she had caught him staring at her these past few days—a proper farewell speech.

“Nothing.” His attention returned to the sky.

Eshaal frowned at him. Your honour wouldn’t diminish if you get emotional for once and speak your heart out to your sister, you!

Sighing in disappointment, she leant back on the pillar and joined her brother in gazing at the sky.

It was a moonless night, which explained why the terrace was drowning in darkness. The street was amply lit, but with a huge tree situated right outside their house, not much of the light was able to reach them. Their terrace was almost always drowning in darkness.