Chapter 23

Lana

Lana

I never thought about the future when I was younger. I never thought about the consequences of the life I've chosen. I always thought that everything would fall into place, that everything would just work out in the end. I always thought that by being strong nothing would harm me.

But I was wrong, terribly wrong.

Things never really go as we planned, even if we try hard. I learned that the hard way. Right when I thought things were falling into place they fell even further apart. When I thought luck was finally on my side I was pushed down further onto the ground being kicked and punched. It was as if the universe had something against me and wanted to see me hurt.

I could feel pain with every step I took. I could feel my headache only worsen. And I could feel the cold wind against my skin but I didn't care. I deserved that and much more. It was all my fault, I had killed my best friend. I had killed someone filled with hope and pure joy. He had always been the best person he could be and because of me it was all gone and in the most horrible way.

I walked the streets ignoring everything and everyone. I could hear people's yells and honks as I crossed the street, but I didn't bother to look. I had somewhere to go right now even though I couldn't quite think of where that place was. It was as if I was being drawn somewhere but I couldn't think of where. I just knew if I kept walking I would find it.

I never did return back to the loft. I knew if I did go back I'd be reminded of what I'd just lost and I just couldn't handle that right now. That or I'd probably find the flash ready to arrest me along with the Central city police department.

I walked hoping somehow I would find the answers I needed. I hoped that maybe I'd make it back to the organization or anywhere that wasn't Central city. I felt lost and so alone that I didn't care to think about anything else. I knew I had been walking for hours but I didn't realize it until now. It felt like no time had passed but I knew now that wasn't true as I stared out into the darkness that surrounded me. It was night already and I hadn't even realized the moment the sun set.

I finally looked around my surroundings and looked at all the people who were still out. I realized I was far from home, far from everyone I knew. I looked as the kids started to get into their cars and race down the streets. I then turned to look at a car and saw one kid get out of his car to join the rest. I looked at him and realized it was Joe's son. The resemblance clearly there.

"Lana"

I heard my name being yelled and I turned to see Leo and Bette behind me. I could see the sadness in their eyes as they watched me carefully. Leo quickly rushed to my side and took hold of my hand and led me to the car. He looked unsure at first and was very careful not to make any sudden movements.

"Come on" he says gently pulling me along

A part of me felt like I shouldn't follow them. I needed to go somewhere else but I pushed that down knowing it would be best to go with them. I moved my feet and followed them. It was like I had no control of what I was doing. I didn't talk, I only allowed them to lead me anywhere. I felt alone and I felt all the guilt piled up inside which only seemed to be growing each second. When I was inside the car I turned to see Bette sitting beside me.