chapter three

"Ouch." I said as I poked myself with a rose thorn for the fifth time.

I took the rose from the centerpiece my grandma keeps on the living room table.

For Kai. She liked roses.

I haven't talked to her since last Friday when we had our porch episode.

I put my lunch into my locker and went walked down the crowded hallway to Technology.

I heard group laughter coming from from left and saw Kai with some of her friends.

Time to shine, T, I thought to myself.

"Uh, Kai. I got you this." I said holding out the flower to her, hoping she would ignore the blood smears on the stem.

Her and her friends stopped laughing and turned their attention to me.

She looked me up and down and took the rose, holding it by the very end as if I had poison it.

She gave me a fake smile and turned back around to her friends. I realized the bell was about to ring and took off to the stairs.

Soon as I walked away, I heard laughter.

While I sat in class, all I could think about was Kai. The night on the porch. Her lips.

And this morning.

She doesn't like you Tyler.

And then my insecurities kicked in.

You don't stand a chance.

When the clock hit 12:00pm, I trailed up the stairs to Mr.Shoji's room. When I opened the door I not only found Mr.Shoji there, but Kai too.

Thinking she was still ignoring, I dropped the aloe drink on Mr.Shoji's desk and sat as far as possible away from Kai.

It was just an in the moment thing Tyler, I told myself.

I unpacked my lunch to see my grandma packed me leftover pizza and a sugar-free soda.

She was diabetic so it was all we brought.

I walked up to Mr.Shoji and handed him the soda too.

As soon as I sat down again, a girl bursted into the room.

"Um, Ms.Walker, down the hall, wants you." she said loudly. She looked over and gave Kai a smirk and wave.

Kai chuckled and waved back at her.

I quickly looked away when she noticed me staring at her.

I watched the girl and Mr.Shoji leave the room and returned back to my lunch.

I was just about to grab a napkin from Mr.Shoji's desk when I looked up to see Kai in front of me.

"Hi Tyler." she said flashing me a smile.

" Uh, hey." I responded, completely forgetting about what happened this morning.

I continued walking to the desk until Kai grabbed my arm. I turned around to face her and she kissed me again.

It took me by surprise again. I complied by grabbing her face and and awkwardly moving my tongue around her mouth.

She tasted like peppermint and I probably tasted like pepperoni and pizza sauce.

"You wanna go to the park again after school?" she asked breaking our kiss.