Chapter 3 - Hydra Lab

Hydra Lab Complex, Novacorps

Planet Hydra, Strolla System

Terra Date: 10-11-2201

As Strolla rose, its heat began evaporating the morning dew from the grassy hills behind the lab complex, sending tiny mists of vapor upward to dissipate into the clear blue sky. It carried a scent that was a mix of lavender and ginger. It had rained the night before, but now there wasn't a single cloud in the blue sky, nor any lingering haze. One could see down to the sparkling ocean.

The Governor felt that he was truly blessed to work in the Strolla System and to live on Hydra. He believed that the beauty of Hydra must have been how Terra used to be, and what it would be again. He was a good student of history. The morning light from Strolla made the landscape and shoreline shine like a beautiful paradise.

Governor Belter understood, more than two decades after first setting foot here, that Terrans were only guests. He was there not only to oversee Terran operations in the system but also to enforce the Treaty. He had to ensure that Terran use of Hydra's resources would not adversely impact the planet.

The Hydrans had allowed the Terrans to build structures and residences. The Nova Lab was one such structure. The complex was a collection of carefully packed utilitarian buildings, a compact state-of-the-art facility nestled on a low plateau, set against the slopes of the imposing coastal mountain range close to where Victor's first landing party set down.

Another beautiful day on Hydra, Victor Belter thought to himself as he exited the complex's small vehicle hangar and stood outside on the tarmac. He stood for a moment in the warm light of the newly-risen Strolla. His home was near the shore, only about five kilometers away. When he had left, his wife Beatrice and the kids were still sleeping, and Strolla had not yet risen. The news he'd received the night before stirred up old but familiar feelings of wonder and discovery. Dr. Neal and her staff were also arriving early. The shuttle would soon be there, and the lab was full of energy.

It had been twenty-five years since he and Eanex had inadvertently passed through Angel's Gate and discovered a new Terra, this paradise. Now, the prospect of investigating the alien shuttle was a thrill. His excitement had made it hard for him to sleep the night before. Discovering a shuttle in the system brought back the giddiness of adventure that he'd thought was long past.

Where did it come from? Could it be from another intelligent alien world? Might they have technologies or resources that could help with the restoration of Terra's natural resources?

His anticipation had a touch of apprehension. He'd come to realize how fortunate it was that the native Hydrans had been so welcoming to humanity. Terrans were unprepared. If it were not for the Hydran's peaceful nature, things could have turned out much differently.

The Leadership Council had been ready to evacuate Terra en masse and abandon the Solar System until Hydra's ocean-dwelling residents made themselves known. Initially bad news, it turned out to be a blessing.

The Hydrans welcomed Terrans with open arms, and within months, they signed a treaty. It allowed Terran use and transport of portions of Hydra's natural resources to rejuvenate Terra's ecological systems. Hydra would remain the paradise it was, and the Leadership Council's mandate "to become better caretakers of Terra" took on new meaning. Ever since then, the goal was to coordinate efforts to bring Terra back from the brink and return it to its original condition, like Hydra. Terrans were reclaiming their planet and, twenty-five years later, was now showing signs of recovery. Victor wondered if their luck would hold.

From the time he had discovered Angel's Gate, Victor felt he belonged here. He had always had faith that Terrans would survive, and finding the gate that led to this beautiful new world vindicated it. Mankind had a second chance. They could finally put into practice the lessons learned. Meeting the Hydran Leader, Zorag, only confirmed what he already believed.