Chapter 9 - Consequences

Colonel Hand appreciated the view from the Command Tower that loomed over Nova Station, seventy-two meters above the grey rock surface below. Its large panoramic windows offered an unimpeded view of Angel's Gate, Nova's small moon, and the star-studded space that surrounded the planet Nova.

Nova Station is a relatively small station, built into a mined-out asteroid that had been an early mining outpost. Then was moved into proximity to the Gate. They retrofitted and expanded the offices and added a smaller Hopper tunnel bay after mining operation ended. Nova personnel uses it now to monitor traffic through the Gate and maintains various labs inside. Being in close proximity to the Gate, messages could be heard from the Solar System through it, even without communication boosters, if close enough. Those Boosters, though, provided much clearer reception. Having them on the Strolla side, also allowed communication throughout the System, including Nova's surface and comm satellites for The Rock and other mining stations as well as the planet Hydra.

Nova Station was ideally situated to control ship movements to and from the Solar System. At any given time, there are around 280 personnel stationed there to keep it functioning at peak efficiency. Colonel Hand increased station security by placing Space Dogs strategically all over the Station. That way, they could quickly secure every inch of the Station in case the alien proved to be a threat. Given what had happened on Hydra, he wasn't going to take any chances.

As soon as he and Governor Belter stepped out onto the tower's control floor, Natasha Ivanova, the tall, blonde, thirty-something floor leader, prepared to relay General Strickland's call to one of the adjacent offices. Colonel Hand, though, had other instructions.

"Open a channel with the General's ship, the main screen please," he ordered. The transmission would display on a monitor where all on the floor could see and hear.

"Are you sure you want that?" Ivanova asked, seemingly surprised by his request. Perhaps also wanting to know if the Governor agreed.

Hand nodded. If it was General Strickland, he knew he had no worries. The Governor did not have the will or strength to oppose him. Colonel Hand was pleased to hear that the General was the first to communicate since the incident. The man shared the Colonel's opinion that the Strolla System should be in military control. Strickland was under General Jeremiah Eanex's direct command. Still, it was common knowledge that he believed Eanex's commission was due more to his popularity than his experience as a military leader. Hand agreed with him and resented Belter for the same reason.

Once the white-haired veteran General was visible on the screen, his comments were aimed squarely at Governor Belter. Hand was happy to step back from the discussion and watch as Strickland was direct and to the point. Rather than going into the small talk routine greetings, the General was pointed and unrestrained.

"The whole Leadership Council is stunned. How could you nuke our own people?" the General asked accusingly.

"I have been getting calls non-stop. People want to know if their family members are safe."

The Colonel noticed with relish that Belter was surprised at the General's verbal assault. Strickland appeared utterly unwilling to give Belter even the slightest benefit of the doubt regarding his innocence. It became clear that his questions were more rhetorical than actual queries.

Belter tried to explain, sputtering, "Sir, we have not yet assessed the damages. Many evacuated from the affected area."

"I'm told that thousands have died! They want your head!" Strickland went on.

"We will have better numbers in a couple of days." Belter countered, clearly on the defensive. He knew those numbers could not possibly be that high.